This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8806 / 50°52'50"N
Longitude: -4.0857 / 4°5'8"W
OS Eastings: 253372
OS Northings: 111087
OS Grid: SS533110
Mapcode National: GBR KP.SYLD
Mapcode Global: FRA 26BS.23Q
Entry Name: Church of St James the Less
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309259
English Heritage Legacy ID: 90909
Location: Huish, Torridge, Devon, EX20
Civil Parish: Huish
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Huish St James the Less
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 51 SW
4/120 Church of St James the Less
Parish church. Late C15 or early C16 tower, the rest rebuilt in 1873 by G. E.
Street. Coursed stone rubble walls. Gable-ended slate roof. Stone chimney to
Plan: nave, chancel, south aisle and porch, west tower and vestry on north side of
chancel. Apart from the late C15 or early C16 tower the church was entirely rebuilt
in 1873 mainly in the early Decorated style.
Exterior: 3-stage castellated west tower with obelisk finials. Round-headed granite
west doorway with roll and hollow moulding and arched hoodmould. C20 rebuilt 3-
light Perpendicular style west window. 2-light segmental arched belfry openings.
Slit openings for stair on north side. North side of nave has 3 2-light and one
single light plate tracery type windows. At east end is lean-to vestry with arched
doorway. Large 5-light east window of Decorated Style and similar small 2-light one
on south side of chancel. The south aisle has a 3-light early Decorated style
window to either side of the porch and a trefoiled light towards the east end.
Single storey gabled south porch with 2 centred moulded arched doorway and diagonal
buttress either side.
Interior: south doorway has pointed arch with nookshafts. The internal walls are
lined with fine sandstone ashlar. The 3-bay arcade is of similar stone with 4-
centred arches and piers with moulded capitals. Wide similar chancel arch and
pointed sandstone tower arch. Chancel has sedilia and piscina in south wall. Arch
in north wall to vestry. Arch-braced collar beam roof to nave with cusping to
arches and angels corbels to principal rafters. Boarded roof to chancel and plain
wagon roof to aisle.
Octagonal front of Caen stone with very fine fleuron carving to panels and stem
consisting of clustered shafts, alternate ones of marble. The pulpit is of similar
stone, 3 sided with tracery carved panels. On the west wall of the nave is an oval
slate wall memorial to Jane Wollacombe who died in 1777. To the other side of the
tower arch are 2 more wall memorials - one slate with nowy head dated 1668 the other
marble and oval to William Spurway Gent who died 1715.
Source: Pevsner: Buildings of North Devon
Listing NGR: SS5337211087
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings