This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1788 / 52°10'43"N
Longitude: 0.0954 / 0°5'43"E
OS Eastings: 543366
OS Northings: 255464
OS Grid: TL433554
Mapcode National: GBR L7N.6YJ
Mapcode Global: VHHK8.LHSL
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Andrew
Listing Date: 31 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309436
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51726
Location: Grantchester, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB3
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Grantchester
Built-Up Area: Grantchester
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Grantchester St Andrew and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4355 GRANTCHESTER HIGH STREET
(North West Side)
14/109 Church of St Mary and St
Parish Church. Part of north wall of nave is C12 and some C12 fragments are
to be found reset in south wall of south aisle, added in 1876-7. Mid C14
chancel, and late C14 or early C15 west tower. Clunch rubblestone,
fieldstone, rendered, with dressed clunch ashlar to the chancel. Limestone
dressings. Tiled roofs. Plan of west tower, nave, south aisle and chancel.
West tower. Embattled parapet of three stages with splayed plinth and
contemporary three-stage angle buttressing. Restored west window of three
cinquefoil lights above west doorway, now glazed. Two-centred arch in square
head with shields of See of Ely and Bishop John Fordham in the spandrels.
The bell-stage has two cinquefoil openings in four centred arch, to each
wall. Nave much restored 1876-7, except for north wall which.-has C12 work
with C15 fenestration. The south aisle incorporates C12 fragments. Mid C14
chancel has restored Decorated tracery to three windows in north and south
walls and to the East window. The. two-stage buttresses are original, but the
upper wall of the east gable end is probably rebuilt. In the north wall of
the nave there is a blocked opening, C14-C15, probably to a chapel, now
demolished. North porch is C16. Brick nogging between timber-frame to
gable. Wall material now rendered. Hollow moulded, four-centred outer arch
in square head with moulded tie above. Original double door, battened, the
vertical planks with cover strips. Interior: south arcade is C19
restoration. The chancel is particularly fine with moulded sill carried
round below the windows and above the mid C14 piscina with nodding ogee
arch. Similar nodding ogees to the rear arches of the windows, which also
have engaged nook shafts to the jambs. The roofs are C19. Font: C13.
Tapering limestone bowl on a modern base. Gallery: c.1840 in Gothic idiom
on arcade of seven bays. Wall tomb in north wall of chancel. C14 moulded
R.C.H.M. West Cambs., mon.(1) Plates 4.10,69,71,81
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p393
Listing NGR: TL4336655464
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings