This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7877 / 50°47'15"N
Longitude: -3.2651 / 3°15'54"W
OS Eastings: 310917
OS Northings: 99442
OS Grid: SY109994
Mapcode National: GBR LT.ZNM9
Mapcode Global: FRA 4710.9T3
Entry Name: Feniton Court
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309722
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86824
Location: Feniton, East Devon, Devon, EX14
Civil Parish: Feniton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Feniton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 19 NW
7/64 Feniton Court
Manor house. The owner reckons it was built in 1788 but it looks early C19 and
probably includes the shell of an earlier house, billiard room added in 1927.
Plastered walls, some are cob on stone rubble footings; the rest is brick and stone
rubble; stone rubble and brick stacks with plastered brick chimneyshafts (some early
C19 chimney pots); slate roof.
Plan: large house with basically a T-plan. The main block faces south-east and it
contains the principal rooms. It has a 4-room plan, 2 either side of a central
entrance lobby which contains the main staircase. The end rooms are larger and
built as crosswings projecting forward a little. The left room is the library. The
service block projects at right angles to rear a little right of centre. The
service block has parallel roofs. Most of the rooms are heated by a series of axial
stacks. It seems the central 2 rooms of the main block occupy the shell of an
older, probably C17, house but no evidence is exposed. In 1927 a new billard room
and entrance porch was built behind the left crosswing. It is single storey; the
rest of the house is 2 storeys.
Exterior: symmetrical 3:5:3-window front of C19 ground floor 15-pane sashes and
first floor 12-pane sashes. The 3-window sections each end are in full height
curving bay windows. The central doorway contains C20 glazed double doors with an
overlight. The centre section has a limestone ashlar verendah with a moulded
cornice and parapet over pairs of Tuscan columns. The front and left (south-west)
end wall have a flat plat band at first floor level, a moulded eaves cornice and
plain parapet above. The centre part of the main block roof is gable-ended with
hipped crosswing roofs each end. The windows each end are similar to those on the
front and those in the right and have stucco keystones over. The secondary doorway
in the left end has a panelled door with side lights and Tusan porch dating from
1927. The service block contains mostly 12-pane sashes.
Interior: was not inspected although it is said to contain a great deal of early
C19 joinery and other detail. The main stair however is a C20 replacement in late
Feniton is an attractive little village which contains a good group of listed
buildings. Feniton Court stands close to the Church of St Andrew (q.v). It also
stands on the site of an earlier manor house and was once the home of the Northcott
family and of the Right Honourable Sir John Patterson who died here.
Source: Devon SMR.
Listing NGR: SY1091799442
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings