History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Peters Marland, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9008 / 50°54'2"N

Longitude: -4.1655 / 4°9'55"W

OS Eastings: 247825

OS Northings: 113491

OS Grid: SS478134

Mapcode National: GBR KL.RGLJ

Mapcode Global: FRA 265Q.F1P

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 4 October 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1309763

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91003

Location: Peters Marland, Torridge, Devon, EX38

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Peters Marland

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Petersmarland St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Langtree

Listing Text

PETERSMARLAND PETERSMARLAND
SS 41 SE
4/29 Church of St Peter
-
4.10.60
GV II
Parisn church. Some C15 fabric survives in tower but mainly rebuilt in 1868. Stone
rubble walls with granite quoins, to tower. Gable-ended slate roof.
Plan: nave, north and south aisles and south porch were built in 1865 - the west
tower dates to the C15 but appears also to have been partially rebuilt.
Exterior: 3 stage battlemented tower with obelisk finials. 2 probably C19
buttresses extend up to the 2nd stage of the west wall. 2-light trefoiled belfry
openings. C19 3-light west window with intersecting tracery. C15 granite west
doorway with roll and hollow moulding. The north aisle has 2 Decorated style 3 and
4-lignt windows and a single trefoiled light at the west end. Lean-to vestry in
angle between aisle and chancel. 3-light East window of Decorated style and a
similar 2-light window on the south side of the chancel. The south aisle has an
intersecting tracery window at its east end. Otherwise they are of the Decorated
style. South porch has steeply pitched roof and 4-centered stone arch doorway.
Interior: re-used granite south doorway with Tudor arch, roll and hollow moulding
and ball stops. 3 bay arcades of slender columns with small capitals and deep
hoodmould over each arch.
Modern square font of free-stone. Tiled floors. Pulpit and choir stalls of simple
carved woodwork.
Source: Beatrix Cresswell - Churches in the Deanery of Torrington


Listing NGR: SS4782513491

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.