History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Farm Buildings Forming the Farmyard to the North of Pinslow Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Giles on the Heath, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6872 / 50°41'14"N

Longitude: -4.339 / 4°20'20"W

OS Eastings: 234872

OS Northings: 90118

OS Grid: SX348901

Mapcode National: GBR NM.6190

Mapcode Global: FRA 17S8.CDC

Plus Code: 9C2QMMP6+VC

Entry Name: Farm Buildings Forming the Farmyard to the North of Pinslow Farmhouse

Listing Date: 9 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1309809

English Heritage Legacy ID: 90691

Location: St. Giles on the Heath, Torridge, Devon, PL15

County: Devon

Civil Parish: St. Giles on the Heath

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: St Giles-in-the-Heath

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Saint Giles on the Heath

Listing Text

SX 39 SW ST GILES ON THE HEATH

4/37 Farm Buildings forming the
- farmyard to the north of
Pinslow Farmhouse
GV II


Planned farmyard. 1863 (datestone) for the Bedford Estate. Stone rubble with brick
dressings and gabled slate roofs.
The farmyard is on 3 levels, exploiting the gradient of the site. To the west a hay
barn with large double timber doors is at right angles to the west range which is a
2-storey building with a threshing loft, formerly powered by a water turbine. A 2-
span fattening shed adjoins the threshing loft at right angles and projects into the
central yard forming the north side of the farmyard. Dung was carried across the
yard to the 2-storey east range and dropped down into the ground floor of the
dunghouse from timber platforms projecting over the pits. The south end of the east
range was formerly a carpenters' and blacksmiths' shop. The south range consists of
open-front cartsheds.
The farmyard is very little altered since 1863 and has all the characteristic
features of the Bedford Estate farm buildings of the high farming period, including
timber-lined roofs and ingeniously-designed adjustable ventilation slats.


Listing NGR: SX3487290118

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.