History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Pelynt, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3684 / 50°22'6"N

Longitude: -4.5279 / 4°31'40"W

OS Eastings: 220319

OS Northings: 55114

OS Grid: SX203551

Mapcode National: GBR NC.V0RZ

Mapcode Global: FRA 18D2.9SJ

Entry Name: The Old School House

Listing Date: 15 April 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1309922

English Heritage Legacy ID: 61654

Location: Pelynt, Cornwall, PL13

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Pelynt

Built-Up Area: Pelynt

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Pelynt

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Pelynt

Listing Text

PELYNT SUMMER LANE, Pelynt
SX 25 NW
2/190 The Old School House

15.4.83

GV II

School and school house, now disused. 1842, extended in 1908. By George
Wightwick. Snecked stone rubble, partly rendered with granite dressings and
2 span slate roof with coped gable ends with corbelled kneelers. Brick chimney
stacks on gable ends. Original rectangular plan with school house on ground
floor and large single school room at first floor level. Stair projection to
rear incorporated into parallel range added to rear forming overall 'L' shape
plan. Lean-to in outshut in angle formed by the 2 ranges with entrance within,
in gable end of rear range. Projecting cross wing added in 1908 to right of
main range containing further school room. Tudor style. 2 storeys, symmetrical
3-window front. Ground floor with two 3-light hollow chamfered granite mul-
lioned windows with hoodmoulds flanking similar 2-light window in centre.
Granite string course above. First floor with two 3-light hollow-chamfered
granite mullioned windows with central canted oriel on moulded corbel with 4-
light mullioned window. Gable above surmounted by gabled bellcote with bell.
Entrance in gable end of rear wing with granite chamfered arch. Circa 1908
crosswing of single storey; stone rubble with brick dressings; 3 tall segmen-
tally headed windows in gable end. Interior: Original staircase in painted
softwood. C19 chimney pieces. Schoolmaster's rooms on ground floor and single
school room on first. This building has a well arranged and detailed front and
is important for its contribution to the street scene, particularly in the
approach from the south. See also rectory in Tudor style, circa 1841. by George
Wightwick. (qv Pelynt House). Pearson A. Wightwick's Architectural Works in
Cornwall.


Listing NGR: SX2031955114

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.