This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.2095 / 50°12'34"N
Longitude: -5.1033 / 5°6'11"W
OS Eastings: 178670
OS Northings: 38996
OS Grid: SW786389
Mapcode National: GBR ZC.CSQQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 086G.MNL
Entry Name: East Lodge
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310280
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63619
Location: Perranarworthal, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Perranarworthal
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Stithians
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 NE PERRANARWORTHAL PERRANARWORTHAL
3/353 East Lodge
Lodge to country house and gate-piers, now private house. 1834. Built for Benjamin
Sampson manager of a local powder factory. Shale rubble walls with faced or dressed
architectural detail and slate sills. Polygonal hipped scantle slate roof with
projecting eaves and central 2-stage axial brick chimney. Cast iron ogee gutters.
Plan of 2 rooms flanking central baffle entry. Service rooms behind, extended
slightly in the C20; and further room at left-hand side (north) of front in same
style but possibly later, and also with room behind. Gothic style detail.
Single storey. Overall 3-window west front originally facing driveway with 1-window
bay (possibly later) set back slightly on left and symmetrical 2-window front with
central doorway. Wooden steep 4-centred doorway with original ledged doorway with
blind arched panels. Original open porch (now glazed) with scantle slated pedimented
gabled roof carried on 4 square posts, those to front with small capitals. Tympanum
has 3-bay blind cantelevered arcade of trefoil-headed arches with central arch
taller. Windows are set in steep 4-centred arched recesses with original paired
traceried lights over lozenge paned casements, all leaded. Splayed corners to left
and right. Further similar window to right-hand side wall and quatrefoil window
opening to coped wall screening lean-to.
Simple interior. Porch floor has date, 1834 in cobbles. Square-on-plan dressed
granite gate-piers to west of south side have caps with inverted step cornices and
pyramidal tops rising to flat square bases for statures, urns or torches.
Formerly the lodge to Tullimaar qv, a good quality circa 1828 house. An early C19
lodge with most of its original features. Almost nearly identical to West Lodge qv,
Listing NGR: SW7867038996
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings