This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1929 / 53°11'34"N
Longitude: -2.5312 / 2°31'52"W
OS Eastings: 364603
OS Northings: 366337
OS Grid: SJ646663
Mapcode National: GBR 7S.2X85
Mapcode Global: WH99R.20XK
Entry Name: Brunner Guildhall
Listing Date: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310409
English Heritage Legacy ID: 57388
Location: Winsford, Cheshire West and Chester, CW7
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Winsford
Built-Up Area: Winsford
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Over St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Chester
WINSFORD FORMER U.D. HIGH STREET
SJ 66 NW
4/104 Brunner Guildhall.
Guildhall. Dated 1899. Red English garden wall bond brick with
terra-cotta dressings and slate roof. Two storeys.Flemish Gothic.
Entrance front: Eight bays, nearly symmetrically disposed. The two
bays at centre are paired as are the two to either side of them which
have gables above. Two central ground floor entrances have basket
arches, that at right containing double doors, that at left containing
window with two basket-arched lights and datestone below of pink
granite which reads
THIS HALL WAS PRESENTED TO THE URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL
OF WINSFORD BY SIR JOHN TOMLINSON BRUNNER BARONET
MEMBER FOR THE NORTHWICH DIVISION OF CHESHIRE IN TRUST
FOR THE DAILY USE OF TRADE AND FRIENDLY SOCIETIES AND
OTHER PUBLIC PURPOSES UNDER THE MANAGEMENT OF A
REPRESENTATIVE COMMITTEE AND WAS OPENED BY HIM ON THE
FOURTH DAY OF NOVEMBER 1899
EDWIN HAMLETT CHAIRMAN ) OF THE COUNCIL
JOHN HENRY COOKE CLERK )
ON THE FIFTEENTH DAY OF SEPTEMBER 1898 THE COUNCIL, MR
WILLIAM STUBBS, CHAIRMAN DECIDED BY RESOLUTION TO GIVE TO
THE BUILDING THE NAME OF THE BRUNNER GUILDHALL.
Two cross windows to first floor with ogee heads to upper lights and
ovolo moulded terra-cotta surrounds. The two bays to either side of
the centre set under the shaped gables have cross windows to the
ground floor with ogee heads and ovolo moulded surrounds as before.
Similar, fuller windows to first floor each with mullion and 2
transoms. Between these windows run canted decorative vertical strips
rising through to the apexes of the gables. Gables have ovolo moulded
terra-cotta coping with angled finials to lower sides and summit.
To far left and right are 3-light windows of the usual format to both
floors. Right hand gable end: shaped gable. Five of the canted
decorative vertical strips of terra-cotta seen on the entrance front
appear here. Three-light ground floor window with transom and taller
first floor window with two transoms. Left hand gable end: Similar
save for 2-light ground floor window to left. Rear: central
projecting gabled staircase wing with single mezzanine window of
4-lights with cambered relieving arch above. To either side are
3-light ground and first floor windows. To far right is an outshut
with a two-light window and a hipped roof and to the left is a second,
later lean-to outshut.
Listing NGR: SJ6460366337
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings