This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4158 / 50°24'56"N
Longitude: -4.3269 / 4°19'36"W
OS Eastings: 234781
OS Northings: 59911
OS Grid: SX347599
Mapcode National: GBR NM.R4F2
Mapcode Global: FRA 17TY.J45
Entry Name: Church of St Luke
Listing Date: 23 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311215
English Heritage Legacy ID: 62135
Location: St. Germans, Cornwall, PL12
Civil Parish: St. Germans
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Germans Group Parish
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST GERMANS TIDEFORD CROSS LANE (east side),
SX 35 NW
4/139 Church of St Luke
Parish church. 1845 by George Wightwick. Coursed greenstone rubble with limestone
dressings. Slate roof with raised coped verges to chancel.
Plan: Nave and chancel, with south porch to nave and north vestry to chancel.
Nave: has weathered buttresses, on the south side a 2-light and a 3-light window
with 4-centred arched head, hood mould and Perpendicular tracery; bay to west has
gabled porch with tall 4-centred arched doorway, double doors, raised coped verges
and kneelers to gable with cross finial, moulded eaves cornice. West end of nave has
similar 2-light window with Y-tracery. To north, two 3-light windows and central 2-
light window, as to south. Slate-hung bellcote with bell, spire with cross finial.
Chancel: at lower roof level, has 3-light east window with cusped lights and
reticulated tracery, similar 2-light south window. Vestry to north.
Interior: Nave has 4-bay hammer-beam roof rising from stone corbels. Stepped
chamfered 4-centred arch to chancel. Pointed arched door to north vestry, with
squint doorway giving access to pupit by chancel arch. Chancel windows have busts as
stops to hood moulds.
Fittings: Fine Norman font, from chapel of St Luke near Bolventor. C19 wooden
benches in nave, readers' desks in chancel with poppy head ends. Panelled wooden
pulpit in nave.
Monuments: marble tablet on slate ground, in the chancel, to Elizabeth Bury, 1853.
Sources: Radcliffe, E. : Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.
Listing NGR: SX3478159911
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings