This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5295 / 50°31'46"N
Longitude: -4.617 / 4°37'1"W
OS Eastings: 214614
OS Northings: 73240
OS Grid: SX146732
Mapcode National: GBR N7.HV6F
Mapcode Global: FRA 176N.R2F
Entry Name: Church of St Catherine
Listing Date: 6 June 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311621
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67370
Location: Blisland, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Blisland
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Blisland
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 17 SW
9/82 Church of St Catherine
Church. Circa late C12 or early C13 origins, heavily restored between 1852-1883 by
Silvanus Trevail. Snecked granite and moorstone with granite dressings. Steeply
pitched slate roof with decorative fish-scale slates and slate barge boards. Nave
and chancel in one with gabled ends to lower north transept and south porch.
Plan: Church had fallen into state of decay when fund set up for restoration in 1850.
Although the base of the tower may date from the late C12 or early C13, the church
was almost entirely rebuilt by Silvanus Trevail, who drew up the plans free of
charge. There are the remains of a Norman font and much of the earlier dressed stone
has been reused in the church and building to the south (qv). Church reputedly
rebuilt on earlier foundations with west tower, nave and chancel, north transept and
Exterior: West tower of 2 stages with chamfered plinth and strings. 1-light window
to first stage and C19 1-light belfry openings with slate louvres. The second stage
is recessed and the top corbelled out with a heavy battlemented parapet. 1 and 2-
light C19 lancet windows in north and south sides of nave and chancel with reused
dressed stone cusped head and spandrels to lancet window on north side of nave. C19
gabled south porch with ornate C19 hinges to inner plank door.
Interior: C19 arch braced roof. Chamfered 2-centred tower arch with impost
mouldings. No floor to second stage of tower. Restored Norman font with square base
and simple round granite bowl. C20 furnishings. C19 stained glass windows with
subjects largely relating to Knights Templars and Hospitallers.
In 1150 King Stephen gave the Knights Templars (a military and religious order
founded in 1118) the Manor of Trebeigh in St Ive parish (qv Trebeigh Manor) together
with Temple, forming the Preceptory of Trebeigh. In 1312 the Knights Templars were
suppressed and their lands handed over to the Knights Hospitallers. The order was
suppressed during the Reformation and the lands confiscated, later being granted to
Henry Wilbye, George Blyke and passing to the Wrey family in the C17. The church,
until 1753, became famous as a place where marriages could be performed without banns
or license. When such marriages became illegal, the church fell into disuse and no
services were held for more than a century. A fund was started for rebuilding in
1850 and the church was opened in 1883.
Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The buildings of England, Cornwall 1970
Listing description for Trebeigh Manor, St Ive, Cornwall.
Listing NGR: SX1461473240
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings