This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.2024 / 54°12'8"N
Longitude: -2.6009 / 2°36'3"W
OS Eastings: 360897
OS Northings: 478682
OS Grid: SD608786
Mapcode National: GBR BM8V.P9
Mapcode Global: WH94P.0MRQ
Entry Name: Abbot Hall
Listing Date: 21 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311673
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75240
Location: Kirkby Lonsdale, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA6
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale
Built-Up Area: Kirkby Lonsdale
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
5166 (north side)
SD 6078 NE 5/126 21.11.52
C17 yeoman's house, altered C18 and C19. Two storeys. Pebbledashed. Slate roof.
Three chimneys all rebuilt C19. Gabled porch through both storeys at extreme right.
Widely spaced stone brackets under guttering. Windows of two and three lights,
mullioned, chamfered and rebated. Those to porch and ground floor right have
individual hoodmoulds. Those to left on both floors have continuous labels or
strings. Doorway in porch has round head and label, C19. Plank door. Doorway to
left hand side with plain stone surround. Six panel door. Back plain, C18 or C19,
Interior. On ground floor to right hand side large fireplace with rough segmental
head. In same room elaborate court cupboard with panels and hood with pendants,
carved with "IKD 1632". In present entrance hall muntin-and-plank partition and
corbelled C18 chimneypiece. Staircase at rear, late C17. Stairs of complex form,
dogleg with two branches at first landing. Closed string, square newels with turned
finials, and turned balusters. C17 panelling to left hand wall of staircase, which
forms one wall of first floor parlour. The other walls of parlour have early C18
panelling with cornice and dado. At right hand side rear is stone spiral stair. On
first floor at right, front room with some C17 panelling and fitted cupboard similarly
panelled. Heavy tie beam roof.
The right hand part of this house is thought to be the older part and was formerly
thatched. It was until recently a farmhouse. (Annals, RCHM, NLVAS).
Listing NGR: SD6089778682
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings