History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Warnell Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sebergham, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7628 / 54°45'45"N

Longitude: -3.0109 / 3°0'39"W

OS Eastings: 335052

OS Northings: 541339

OS Grid: NY350413

Mapcode National: GBR 7FDC.YG

Mapcode Global: WH80M.QKG4

Entry Name: Warnell Hall

Listing Date: 11 April 1967

Last Amended: 3 January 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1311727

English Heritage Legacy ID: 72486

Location: Sebergham, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA5

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

Civil Parish: Sebergham

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Castle Sowerby St Kentigern

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Newlands

Listing Text

NY 34 SE SEBERGHAM Warnell

9/178 Warnell Hall
(formerly listed as
11.4.67 Warne11's Hall)

G.V. II*

Fortified house now farmhouse. Early or mid C16 incorporating part of a C14
tower with alterations, dated and inscribed over entrance T & M D 1683 with
Denton coat-of-arms. Large blocks of mixed calciferous and pink sandstone with
graduated greenslate roof and stone chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 5 bays with
stair projection to rear making shape; originally a fortified courtyard plan.
Top-glazed panelled door in alternate-block surround under cornice and voussoir
frieze. 2-light stone-mullioned windows under cornices are of 1683. Confined
fenestration is explained by adjoining courtyard range, that to right listed
separately, but that to left now demolished, leaving blank wall. Rear 2- and
3-light stone-mullioned windows under hoodmoulds could be C16. Wall at left
rear has earlier blocked window and is said to contain the remains of a newel
staircase of the C14 tower, now demolished. Further single-storey rear
extension is probably early C18. Interior has large segmental-arched stone
fireplace in principal ground-floor room. Late C17 oak staircase with twisted
balusters and broad moulded handrail. House of Dacre family which was exchanged
with the Denton family for Denton Hall in 1507; sold by the Dentons to Sir James
Lowther in 1774 and still in the possession of that family. See W.T. McIntyre,
Warnell Hall, Cumberland News, 4 August 1934; Transactions Cumberland &
Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, xx, p238.


Listing NGR: NY3505241339

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.