History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moat House

A Grade II Listed Building in Saints, Luton

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9043 / 51°54'15"N

Longitude: -0.4344 / 0°26'3"W

OS Eastings: 507806

OS Northings: 224022

OS Grid: TL078240

Mapcode National: GBR TPX.RZ

Mapcode Global: VHFRF.FD7H

Entry Name: Moat House

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1311772

English Heritage Legacy ID: 35833

Location: Luton, LU3

County: Luton

Electoral Ward/Division: Saints

Built-Up Area: Luton

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Biscot

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Luton

Listing Text

MOAT LANE, BISCOT
1.
5123 Moat House
TL 02 SE 6/1 10.9.54
II

2.
Origins as late C14 manor house within moat; reroofed and altered c 1500 and
subsequently, extensively modernised 1968-69. Stone, rendered apart from
east gable end which is a mixture of clunch, brick and flint; thatched roof,
though tiled before modernisation. Surviving building of rectangular plan,
modern outbuilding to rear. Front elevation (south) has 5 first floor casements;
ground floor left to right, sash, modern gabled porch with front door, C19
thatched bay window with sashes, modern door. Side elevation (east) has brick
in gable apex; full length single buttress at each corner; one square headed
deeply recessed window at left hand, another originally similar now blocked.
Interior now arranged entirely as two storeys, with substantial floor framing,
and inserted modern chimney placed centrally. Eight bay roof structure divided
by 4 large trusses, c 1500 in date. Small gap between 4 bays to west and
4 to east. All 8 have arches to collars and windbraces, 2 purlins and moulded
wall plate. Western half has moulded purlins and battlemented ties above
arched collars. Eastern half similar structure but undecorated. Extensively
renovated. Ground floor plaque formerly in cellar records size of hailstones
in 1666.


Listing NGR: TL0780624022

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.