This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3853 / 50°23'7"N
Longitude: -4.6269 / 4°37'36"W
OS Eastings: 213348
OS Northings: 57232
OS Grid: SX133572
Mapcode National: GBR N6.T5BG
Mapcode Global: FRA 1860.TH3
Entry Name: Ethy House, Including Garden Walls to North and East
Listing Date: 27 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311893
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60636
Location: St. Winnow, Cornwall, PL22
Civil Parish: St. Winnow
Built-Up Area: Lerryn
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Winnow with St Nectan's Chapel
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 15 NW ST WINNOW
6/136 Ethy House, including garden walls
to north and east
Country House, C18, mid C19 extension. Classical. rendered with freestone and
granite dressings. Slate roof with hipped ends with deep over hanging eaves and
shallow C19 gabled projecting wing on west. Rendered brick stacks with 4 C19
octagonal pots to each on south front. Reception rooms arranged around central
hallway with staircase to rear. Kitchens and servants quarters in projecting wing on
2 storeys and basement on east. Symmetrical, 7 window classical south front with
rusticated granite quoins and grand order of 2 freestone pilasters flanking central 3
bays with moulded square bases and caps. Cornice renewed. Central C19 6-panelled
door with rectangular fanlight, the door set slightly back with panelled reveals and
broken segmental pediment above. 4 granite moulded steps lead up to entrance. Six
12-pane sahses to ground floor with 7 similar sashes directly above ground floor
openings. All sashes have exposed sash boxes and only 2 sashes on bottom left have
On west side, 2 storey front on right with further basement on left.
Asymmetrical 4 window front with gabled projection on right-hand side framed by
rusticated quoins. Three 12-pane sashes to basement windows. Ground floor with 3
plated sashes in stuccoed surrounds with cornice on consoles above. To right in
projecting gable, tripartite sash divided and flanked by pilasters supporting an
entablature. Granite balcony on 4 large moulded stone brackets with stone vase
balusters and moulded rail. To first floor on left, three 12-pane sashes with
stuccoed architrave and 3 windows on right each with 3 round headed plated timber
Interior: open string pine staircase with carved brackets, barley sugar balusters
on high square bases, square newels and moulded rail comprising central roll with
further mouldings. Ramped at corners. Room to south-west with elaborate plasterwork
coved cornice with floral trail. Cornice breaks forward over fireplace. Pine
fireplace with brackets supporting architrave. Plasterwork decoration removed.
Library on west with coved cornice and elaborate plasterwork centre with curled
acanthus leaves possibly early C19. Black marble fireplace with marble consoles
supporting a timber marbled mantlepiece. C20 glazed tiled opening. Dining room on
south-east with coved cornice and plasterwork ceiling centre ornamented with acanthus
leaves and stylized foliage connected by delicate ribs. Marble fireplace with marble
consoles supporting timber marbled mantlepiece. Delft tiles surrounding grate.
Drawing room on south of first floor with elaborate rococo plasterwork ceiling. Coved
cornice with enriched ovolo mould. Ceiling centre and corners with shallow
arabesques, swags and delicate ribs. Fireplace with elaborate plasterwork decoration
flanked by pilasters. Frieze decorated with paterae in key pattern with enriched
ovolo decoration and swags. C19 cast iron grate with arched opening.
Roof timbers not inspected.
Continuing from rear of topiary garden on north-west, eastwards along rear of
house to walled garden enclosures on east, rubblestone walls heightened with brick and
brick-capping circa C18 and later. Brickwork curved and stepped to north-east of
house. First walled garden enclosure on east with 7 moulded granite steps.
Courtyard buildings, incorporate remains of early stonework from earlier manor
The Courtenays of Ethy Manor are commemorated in the circa 1500 glass of St
Winnows Parish Church. The south aisle was built as a chantry for the Lords of Ethy
(q.v. Church of St Winnows).
Listing NGR: SX1298160436
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings