This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3846 / 50°23'4"N
Longitude: -4.4485 / 4°26'54"W
OS Eastings: 226028
OS Northings: 56721
OS Grid: SX260567
Mapcode National: GBR NG.T356
Mapcode Global: FRA 18K0.YL0
Entry Name: Church of St Wenna
Listing Date: 18 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311998
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60715
Location: Morval, Cornwall, PL13
Civil Parish: Morval
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Morval
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 25 NE MORVAL MORVAL
4/57 Church of St Wenna
Parish church. Circa C15 although possibly with earlier origins indicated by C13
font and south window of chancel. Probably remodelled in C15, partly refenestrated
in C16 and restored in mid C19. Tower and north aisle probably added in later C15
and south transept probably remodelled in 1671 (datestone). Evidence of remodelling
of roof to nave and chancel on east wall of west tower. Stone rubble with slate
roofs with nave and chancel in one. Comprises 5-bay nave, chancel, north aisle,
south transept, south porch and west tower of 3 stages. Vestry added probably in
early C19 at angle between chancel and east wall of north aisle.
Tracery mostly C16 partly restored in C19. Nave; to west of south door, 3-light
circa C16 rectangular window with segmental arched openings with slight ogee cusp.
South transept appropriated for use of Buller family with private entrance on west
side with 2-centred arch with hoodmould and initials and date 1 B 1671; 3-light south
window with C19 Perpendicular tracery, sundial inscribed 'Per me Jacobum Couch. VT
HORA SIC VITA 1671' with floral trail, and 3-light possibly C16 east window in
rectangular surround with segmental arched openings and slight ogee cusps. Chancel
south window possibly C13 (Pevsner); 2-light rectangular opening with cusped foiled
heads, with similar C19 window to east and south priest's door between in segmental
arched opening with chamfered jambs and pyramid stops. East chancel window of 3
lights with C19 Perpendicular tracery although the jambs and hoodmould appear earlier
and the stone work indicates a reduction in the size of the east window. Vestry in
north east angle with 2-centred arched opening and large projecting chimney stack.
North aisle with 5 probably C16 3-light windows in rectangular surrounds with
segmental heads, slight ogee cusp and hoodmoulds with stepped buttresses between; 3-
light west window circa late C16 with 4-centred arch and raised central light. West
tower of 3 stages with moulded granite plinth and strings, battlemented cornice,
square turrets and crocketted finials with crosses above; west door with segmental
arched opening with heavy rollmould, rectangular surround with hoodmould and plank
door with strap hinges incised with crude chevron decoration. 3-light window above
similar to west window in north aisle, top stage with 3-light belfry openings in 4-
centred arches with slate louvres, and 2 gargoyles on north face with further
gargoyle on south. Gabled stone rubble south porch with 2-centred arched opening
with ovolo-moulded jambs and hoodmould. South door within in 2-centred arched
opening with ovolo-moulded jambs, diagonal stops, double plank door with moulded lock
rail, strap hinges and heavy lock.
Interior Roof to nave replaced in circa 1960s/70s, roof to south porch replaced in
mid C19, circa. late C15 ceiled waggon roof to north aisle of good quality with carved
longitudinal and transverse ribs, wall and arcade plates and ornate carved bosses.
Sealed waggon roof to south transept with moulded wall plates. 5-bay arcade with
type A (Pevsner) piers on tall moulded bases with carved capitals and wide 2-centred
moulded arcade arches with torus, cavetto and chamfer. 4-centred moulded tower arch
on carved corbels. Furnishings largely C19 and C20. South transept, appropriated by
Buller family with 2 front benches with circa C18 fielded panels, carved on both
sides with blind arcade of ogee cusped arches and with central panel with coat of
arms. Octagonal font of elvan stone, possibly C13. C17 alms box at west end of nave
aisle, royal arms over south door 1801-16 painting on wood. Victorian texts painted
on possibly tin panels around south transept and chancel, commandments boards and
boards with Creed and Lord's Prayer.
Memorials; chancel, north wall with ledger stone with strapwork decoration and
heraldic arms in relief, partly obscured by radiator. North aisle with monuments to
the Mayow family of Bray (qv) with classical monument to Philip Mayow, died 1710 and
Frances his daughter who died in 1717, marble with broken freestone pediment and coat
of arms; C19 brass monument to Philip Wynell Mayow and members of family, 1844-1895,
with good lettering. South transept; west wall with slate ledger stone of Walter
Coode, died 1637 with kneeling parents and children allegorically expressed by
fruits growing from branches issuing from parents. The skulls above the fruits
indicate, according to Pevsner, the death of the children before the parents. East
wall of transept with C19 and C20 memorials to the Tremayne, Buller-Kitson and Kitson
families. Bells re-hung in 1928.
Sites and Monuments Register, Truro, Cornwall.
Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd ed., 1970.
Listing NGR: SX2602856718
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings