This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6565 / 53°39'23"N
Longitude: -1.5438 / 1°32'37"W
OS Eastings: 430244
OS Northings: 417871
OS Grid: SE302178
Mapcode National: GBR KVN4.KZ
Mapcode Global: WHCB5.8C27
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Virgin
Listing Date: 15 February 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1313232
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342500
Location: Wakefield, WF4
Electoral Ward/Division: Horbury and South Ossett
Built-Up Area: Horbury
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Horbury Junction St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE31NW HORBURY DAW LANE
(east side), Horbury
7/7 Church of St Mary the
Church. 1890-3. By Bodley and Garner of London. The builders were H. R.
Franklin of Oxford, at a cost of £8,000. South chancel chapel enlarged 1927.
Coursed squared stone with limestone ashlar dressings, off-sets and
bellcotes. 5-bay nave with lean-to aisles, bellcotes, south porch and north
door. 2-bay chancel with north vestry and south chapel. In Decorated style.
2-light nave windows with reticulated tracery. The south side is buttressed,
the north doorway may have had a porch. 3-light square-headed windows to the
chapel with traceried heads. Large 3-light east window with reticulated
tracery and 3 ashlar panels below with shields. At the west end two deep
reducing buttresses joined by an arch at the top support a square bellcote
with pyramidal ashlar roof. A more simple bellcote is at the east end of the
Good interior with 5-bay heavily-moulded arcade to north and south on
filleted quatrefoil piers. 2-bay arcade between chancel and chapel. Wagon
roof to nave and chancel divided into panels by ribs with bosses. Tall
chancel screen with coved canopy. Well carved octagonal font erected by J.
0. Greaves and his wife Jane in thanksgiving to the Rev. Canon Sharp of
Horbury (inscription on west wall). Excellent elaborately-carved oak font
canopy of 1914, erected by Emily Margaret Harrison in memory of her brother
Alfred William Brown Watson, MA, priest, vicar of Horbury and previously
chaplain to H. M. Forces. d.February 24th 1912 (inscription on west wall).
Stained glass by Kempe (Pevsner).
K. Taylor. Wakefield District Heritage. 1975. Published by Wakefield EAHY
Listing NGR: SE3024417871
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings