This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6193 / 53°37'9"N
Longitude: -1.7154 / 1°42'55"W
OS Eastings: 418920
OS Northings: 413681
OS Grid: SE189136
Mapcode National: GBR JVGL.D9
Mapcode Global: WHCB8.M9B5
Entry Name: Darnley Cottage
Listing Date: 16 May 1984
Last Amended: 27 October 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1313295
English Heritage Legacy ID: 341142
Location: Kirkburton, Kirklees, HD8
Civil Parish: Kirkburton
Built-Up Area: Huddersfield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Kirkburton All Hallows
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
Darnley Cottage, Kirkburton, Huddersfield, is a weaver's cottage of the early C19, built in stone and with a six-light stone mullioned weaver's window at first floor level.
Darnley Cottage is a weavers cottage and dates to the early/mid-C19.
MATERIALS: it is constructed of coursed sandstone with a stone slate roof.
PLAN: it is a two storey cottage with cellars and basement to the rear. It is attached to its north-west side to another (unlisted) cottage.
EXTERIOR: the front (south-west) elevation has an inset original front door to the right with stone jambs and a three-light window to the left with stone mullions and four-over-four sashes (replacements). There is a first floor sill band with a six-light window above, similar to that below. The rear elevation has an original central entrance with stone jambs. To the right is a large multi-paned window and there are two modern multi-paned sashes above. Below are two doors to outside store rooms. To the left is a rebuilt section with a matching window to each floor. The south-east side elevation has a gable end to the left (towards the front), and a curved gable end to the right (towards the rear), with a central section set back at first floor level with a pent roof to the single storey front: there is a window at first floor level that has original glazing.
INTERIOR: the front door has six panels externally and two planks internally, with long strap hinges on iron pintles, and an original internal iron latch and lock case. The staircase leads up opposite the entrance and a door to the left leads into the main living room which has two plain beams running to the chimney breast. The fireplace is a modern replacement. To the rear is a second room to the left with a replacement fireplace, and a kitchen to the right occupying the space of a previous scullery and wash-house. The remnants of a former rear staircase are buried in the space between the kitchen and rear room. Two of the bedrooms have C19 fireplaces, and the roof structure appears original to the C19 with one substantial machine cut truss visible in the rear section.
(Formerly listed as No. 19 FAR DEAN)
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/10/2011
A building on the site of Darnley Cottage is shown on the OS 1:10560 map published in 1854, as part of an irregular row, roughly comparable to the extant buildings. By 1893, the house is shown as half of a pair with a communal rear access and yard. Between 1906 and 1917 a wash-house was added to the side of the cottage.
By 1961 the house and its neighbour were divided into four dwellings, and numbered accordingly with the front of Darnley Cottage being No. 15 and the rear No. 19. The cottage was Listed in 1984 and the List entry refers to No. 19 but describes No. 15. The buildings had returned to two dwellings before the end of the C20.
In 2010 Listed Building Consent was given to replace the single storey wash-house with a two storey extension having the same footprint. This, together with some internal alterations to the kitchen, was completed in the same year.
Darnley Cottage is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architecture: the house is a good example of West Yorkshire vernacular
* Special features: it retains a six-light stone mullioned window at first floor level, a distinctive feature of the domestic weaving industry of West Yorkshire of the C18 and early C19, prior to the development of the factory-based woolen cloth industry
* Internal features: surviving internal features of interest include the roof structure, two first floor fireplaces and the original front door
Other nearby listed buildings