History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Clayton West, Kirklees

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5946 / 53°35'40"N

Longitude: -1.6107 / 1°36'38"W

OS Eastings: 425866

OS Northings: 410960

OS Grid: SE258109

Mapcode National: GBR KV6W.35

Mapcode Global: WHCBB.7X86

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 15 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1313343

English Heritage Legacy ID: 341283

Location: Denby Dale, Kirklees, HD8

County: Kirklees

Civil Parish: Denby Dale

Built-Up Area: Clayton West

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Clayton West with High Hoyland All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Skelmanthorpe

Listing Text

SE 21 SE CHURCH LANE
Clayton West
2/16
Church of All Saints

II

Church. 1875. Pitch-faced stone with ashlar dressings. Pitched
slate roof with lower chancel roof. 3-bay nave with lean-to south
aisle and gabled south porch. 2-bay chancel. 4 simple lancets to
aisle. Six 6-foiled clerestorey windows in circles. 2-light nave
windows with 6-foil in heads. 3-light east window with 6-foil in head.
West window of 2-lights with trefoil in head and large wheel window in
gable apex. Nave surmounted by tall octagonal slender wooden bell-cote
with slated base and traceried open sides. Slender, sprocketed fleche.
Vestry wing on north side.

Interior: 3-bay arcade to south on short octagonal piers with moulded
capitals. Large chancel arch on rectangular responds. Scissor braced
roof to nave and chancel with wind bracing. Well carved stone pulpit
with relief figures of Christ and two Saints, dated 1899 in memory of
Fitzgerald Thomas Wintour who was Rector of High Hoyland for 31 years.
West window also to the above, 1898. Other late C19 glass to Wintour
and Waites families. At the west end of the nave is a carved oak
memorial to Charles John Wintour R.N. who commanded the 4th destroyer
flotilla at the battle of Jutland Bank, 1916, killed in action. A large
rectangular base surmounted by a low-relief carving of a destroyer.
Cartouche over with helme and crest. To the sides a trophy in C18 style.

A. R. Bielby, Churches & Chapels of Kirklees, 1978.


Listing NGR: SE2586610960

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.