History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Roman Catholic Church of St Edward

A Grade II Listed Building in Clifford, Leeds

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.8934 / 53°53'36"N

Longitude: -1.3467 / 1°20'48"W

OS Eastings: 443031

OS Northings: 444332

OS Grid: SE430443

Mapcode National: GBR MR1F.72

Mapcode Global: WHDB7.8DZL

Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of St Edward

Listing Date: 30 March 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1313483

English Heritage Legacy ID: 342019

Location: Clifford, Leeds, LS23

County: Leeds

Civil Parish: Clifford

Built-Up Area: Clifford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Clifford St Luke

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

LS23 (north side)

7/97 Roman Catholic Church
30.3.66 of St. Edward


Church. 1845-48 by J. A. Hansom after a design by a Mr. Ramsey; tower 1859-
66 by G. Goldie. Sandstone plinth to ashlar magnesian limestone, green slate
roof. West tower, 7-bay aisled nave and chancel with small east Lady Chapel
having north vestry and south side chapel. In Romanesque style. Tower: 5
stages. Offset clasping buttresses rise 4 stages; square stair-turret to
south-west corner becomes cylindrical above 2nd stage. Open-sided 1st stage
with round arches on 3 sides, vaulted soffit over blind arch into nave. 2nd
stage has 2-light window to west with central shaft, scalloped capitals and
shield beneath continuous, round-arched hoodmould; matching single-light
windows to north and south. Inscribed panel and string course beneath 3rd
stage having two, shafted single-light windows in projections which have
foiled openings in gablets which rise across a corbel table and deep offset
into the 5th stage to be flanked by small, paired windows. Stair-turret
terminates in Lombard frieze and dome. Tower has corbelled eaves to a
pyramidal ashlar roof with ribs and apex finial. Nave and chancel: south
aisle has chamfered plinth and pilaster buttresses between each bay having
single-light windows with shafts and hoodmoulds. Gabled porch to bay 3 has
3-order arch beneath statue niche and cross. Block corbels to the aisle
eaves; ashlar copings to each end. Clerestorey: pilasters between 2-light
windows with shafts, scalloped capitals and trefoiled heads. Block corbels
to the eaves; shaped kneelers and ashlar gable copings with east cross. The
north side is the same. East end has recessed, circular window with radial
shafts and is flanked by vesicae. Lady Chapel to east has some carved eaves
corbels and zig-zag frieze to hipped roof; apsidal east projection has
round-headed slits and leaded conical roof surmounted by statue of the Virgin
Mary. Gabled north vestry with west door under hoodmould and unshafted 1-
light windows. South side-chapel has blind arcading and windows in east
Interior 3-bay arcade under west organ gallery in tower. Aisle arcades
mostly with plain cylindrical piers and rough octagonal capitals to roll-
moulded and chamfered arches under hollow-chamfered hoodmoulds. Three
eastern bays are linked by arcading on a plinth wall to form the sanctuary;
its westernmost pier to north having scale-carving and palmette capital, the
opposite pier carved into a bold helix under capital carved with figures,
animals and emblems of the evangelists; both of these piers have 'turtle'
bases. Within the sanctuary the arcade hoodmoulds spring from angels holding
shields. East end: 3 stepped arches on round piers with fillets and with
carved capitals and linked hoodmoulds; the vessicae above have ornamental
stepped hoodmoulds with pendant bosses. Within the Lady Chapel is a 2-order
arch into the apsidal projection having billeted, carved and lettered
ornament under hoodmould; semi-domed niche within has Carrara marble statue
of the Virgin Mary signed 'Hoffman Rome 1844'. Screen of intersecting
arcading into the southern side chapel. Romanesque font; octagonal stone
pulpit with arcaded sides; altar has sarcophagus behind arcaded sides and
arcaded reredos surmounted by 6 massive candlesticks. Stained glass: some
attributed to Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (Lady Chapel and north aisle); some other glass by Lusson and Bourdant of Paris and Mons, dated 1854. Joseph Maxwell of Boston Spa bought the design for £50 from Ramsay then dying of consumption on
an estate in Traquair, Scotland; the design was passed onto Josepth Hansom
for execution. Foundation stone laid October 1845 and opened in 1848
although not consecrated until 1859.
St. Edward's Church Clifford, Visitors Guide
N. Pevsner,BOE, 1967 edition, p,164-5.

Listing NGR: SE4303144332

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.