History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dod Lea House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Golcar, Kirklees

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6506 / 53°39'2"N

Longitude: -1.8433 / 1°50'36"W

OS Eastings: 410451

OS Northings: 417129

OS Grid: SE104171

Mapcode National: GBR HVK7.Q3

Mapcode Global: WHCB0.NHFR

Entry Name: Dod Lea House

Listing Date: 29 September 1978

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1313538

English Heritage Legacy ID: 340164

Location: Kirklees, HD3

County: Kirklees

Electoral Ward/Division: Golcar

Built-Up Area: Huddersfield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Longwood St Mark the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Lindley

Listing Text

LONGWOOD GATE
1.
5113
(South Side)
Longwood
Dod Lea House
SE 1017 26/842
II*
2.
1674 and 1841. In 2 distinct parts, the 1841 part built to replace the house
of 1674, which then became offices.
The house of 1674 is of hammer-dressed stone. Pitched stone slate roof. Coped
gables on cut kneelers, the north end with 2 moulded finials. 2 storeys.
String. Windows have chamfered stone millions in double chamfered reveals.
East side one 7-light window on 1st floor, and one 4-plus-4-light window with
transom on ground floor. Garage doors. South end has 5-light window on 1st
floor: centre 3 lights are of double height, with transom and rounded heads:
hoodmould and lozenge-shaped labels stops. Ground floor has one 4-plus-4-light
window with transome. Date panel inscribed "GDM 1674" re-inserted in rear
of 1841: good Pennine ornament and lettering.
House of 1841 is of hammer-dressed stone, with ashlar dressings. Pitched slate
roof. Coped gables. 2 storeys. Moulded eaves cornice. Blocking course.
Rusticated quoins. 3 ranges of sashes in plain raised surrounds. Door with
2 fielded panels: Tuscan porch with moulded cornice and blocking course: frieze
with stone balls set in open panels (cf No , Lidget Street, Lindley).
Oval oculus east gable. Date panel taken out recently and set up in garden,
inscribed "GDM Rebuilded 1841".


Listing NGR: SE1045117129

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.