This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7004 / 53°42'1"N
Longitude: -1.8605 / 1°51'37"W
OS Eastings: 409308
OS Northings: 422669
OS Grid: SE093226
Mapcode National: GBR HTGN.07
Mapcode Global: WHC9T.D891
Plus Code: 9C5WP42Q+5R
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 23 November 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314026
English Heritage Legacy ID: 338689
Location: Skircoat, Calderdale, HX3
Electoral Ward/Division: Skircoat
Built-Up Area: Halifax
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Halifax All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
679/7/170 DUDWELL LANE
23-NOV-73 (South side)
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
DATES OF MAIN PHASES, NAME OF ARCHITECT: Parish church of 1858 by Mallinson & Healey, extended in 1874.
MATERIALS: Coursed sandstone with freestone dressings, graded-slate roof.
PLAN: Asymmetrical plan of aisled nave with north porch, north transept, south transept tower, lower chancel with north and east vestries.
EXTERIOR: Free-Decorated style church. The nave is 5 bays. Aisles have 3-light north and south windows and 2-light west windows, below a clerestorey of cinquefoil windows under segmental heads. The nave has deep angle buttresses, between which a shallow lean-to has been added, and a 3-light west window. The north porch has an entrance with continuous double chamfer. The 4-stage tower has diagonal buttresses and gabled north-east stair turret with blocked doorway under a shouldered lintel. In the lower stage is a triple cusped south window below a second-stage 2-light window, then small square-headed south and west windows in the third stage. The upper stage is octagonal, with 2-light windows in the main directions, above which is a stone spire with lucarnes. The north transept has a 3-light window. In the chancel is a 4-light east window, 2-light north and south windows. The east vestry has a 3-light east window, and roof concealed behind a parapet. The vestry is a lean-to against the transept, with entrance in a projection wrapped around the north-east angle of the chancel.
INTERIOR: The first 2 bays of the nave have been partitioned off from the main body of the church, but the original architectural elements remain visible. Nave arcades have octagonal piers with double-chamfered arches. Chancel and transept arches are similar, on polygonal responds. Arches into the organ chamber at the base of the tower are steeply pointed. The nave roof has closely spaced rafters, and the chancel has a 3-bay cusped arched-brace roof. The north transept, now closed off and divided into rooms, has a plain arched-brace roof. Walls are plastered. In the west end of the chancel is a raised dais, where the altar has been set up.
PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: Most fittings, including pews and pulpit, have been removed. The 1886 font is an alabaster marble bowl on painted stone stem. It has a tall wooden Gothic canopy now kept in the north transept. The painted freestone reredos is an arcade of cusped arches under crocketed gables, and on marble shafts. In the chancel south wall is a memorial to John Henry Warneford (d 1899), the first incumbent, a bust in an eared and lugged marble architrave. There are several stained-glass windows of the 1860s, and a west window of Christ performing miracles (c1885).
HISTORY: Built in 1858 by the partnership of James Mallinson (1819-84) and Thomas Healey (1839-1910), architects of Bradford. Originally the organ was placed in the north transept and beneath the tower was a gallery. The vestries were added in 1874. The interior was re-ordered c2000 when a parish room, office and service rooms were provided at the west end of the nave.
Lambeth Palace Library, Incorporated Church Building Society Archives, file 05078.
Information from Dr John Hargreaves.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The Church of All Saints, Dudwell Lane, Halifax, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* The church is a modest Gothic-Revival design but is spacious in keeping with the expanding population of C19 Halifax.
* The church is a major landmark at the south end of the town overlooking the Calder Valley and, with other C19 suburban churches, documents the growth of industrial Halifax in the C19 and is a good example of how C19 churches were carefully sited to occupy commanding positions in the townscape.
Other nearby listed buildings