This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7825 / 53°46'57"N
Longitude: -1.7323 / 1°43'56"W
OS Eastings: 417733
OS Northings: 431832
OS Grid: SE177318
Mapcode National: GBR JPP.JM
Mapcode Global: WHC9H.C692
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 9 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314137
English Heritage Legacy ID: 337294
Location: Bradford, BD4
Electoral Ward/Division: Bowling and Barkerend
Built-Up Area: Bradford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bowling St John
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
5111 WAKEFIELD ROAD
Church of St John
SE 13 SE 9/1158
1842, built at the expense of the Bowling Iron Company and with extensive use of
iron in the structure. The architects were R H and S Sharpe of York assisted
by Fred Stott, the works engineer at the Bowling foundry. The exterior of the
church is cased in sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings. Shallow aisles and
transepts. Prominent west tower. Simple Early English lancet Gothic. The
tower has angle buttresses and is of 3-stages with twin lancets to top bell
stage machicolated parapet with corner pinnacles and octagonal stone spire.
West door at base of tower shafted and with drip mould on carved stops. The
interior framework is entirely of cast iron with slender clustered shafts and ribs
to vault. Repaired at the end of the C19. Triple shafted lancet group forms
east window. The tower is a prominent landmark.
Listing NGR: SE1773331832
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings