History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tong Hall

A Grade I Listed Building in Tong, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.7723 / 53°46'20"N

Longitude: -1.6706 / 1°40'14"W

OS Eastings: 421809

OS Northings: 430710

OS Grid: SE218307

Mapcode National: GBR JSST.3G

Mapcode Global: WHC9J.9FQY

Entry Name: Tong Hall

Listing Date: 4 September 1952

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314140

English Heritage Legacy ID: 337209

Location: Bradford, BD4

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: Tong

Built-Up Area: Batley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Laisterdyke and Tong St James

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(north-west side)

Tong Hall Hall
SE 2130 61/109 4.9.52


Tong Hall still commands a fine open prospect over gently falling grounds to
the west-north-west and is approached from Tong Lane by a short formal drive
terminating in a circular carriage sweep in front of the principal south
entrance. The Stable Court, including the Home Farm, lies discreetly at a
slightly lower level to the west of the house. Associated with the Tempest
family since the C15/C16, Tong Hall was rebuilt by Sir George Tempest in 1702,
and is the only house of any consequence in the Bradford area to be built of
brick (in part no doubt because of the proximity to Leeds). The architect who
introduced this modern fashionable material was Theophilus Shelton, Lawyer and
gentleman architect, resident at Heath Hall, outside Wakefield and the designer
of The Butter Cross at Beverley. As completed by Shelton the house consisted of
a symmetrical block of 3-storey centre with 2-storey wings with a low ashlar
basement, a sophisticated elevation for 1702. In 1773 the house was enlarged,
the architect apparently being one John Platt. He heightened the wings to
3-storeys and the centre received a blind attic and a pediment, probably the
original one reset. Canted bay windows were added to the north front and the
interior underwent some redecoration.
The ashlar basement, largely concealed retains the traditional mullioned windows.
Platbands to first and second floors. Two bay wings and 3 bay centre with
rusticated quoins, moulded ashlar window architraves. Tong with Esholt Hall
would appear to have been one of the earliest sashed houses in the county. The
existing glazing bar sashes are more likely of circa 1773. The slightly projecting
wings have modillion eaves cornices returned as platband with fluting and paterae
across and above the blind attic storey of the centre. The tympanum of the
modillion pediment has delicate corn husk festoons linking paterae and
3 swagged urns crown the pediment proper. The main entrance is an alteration
of circa 1773. Crisply modelled architrave doorcase with carved consoles flanking
delicate festoon frieze and carrying dentil cornice. Above however is the original,
though rather weathered, Baroque achievement of the Tempest Arms. A very rare
feature of the doorway is the stained glass sundial of 1709 by Henry Syles depicting
the sun and the four seasons, set in the fanlight. Short flight of splayed steps
leads up to doorway with scrolled out, delicate iron balustrade of circa 1773.
The north front is similarly detailed with addition of the 1773 two-storey canted
ashlar bays to the wings and 2 bull's eye windows flanking the central first floor
window. The west side has a circa 1773 delicate Doric columned porch with
similar ironwork to that on front.
The interior retains much of 1702 panelling with the redecorations of 1773. Some
alterations took place in 1900 when the staircase was reduced from 2 flights to
one, but otherwise the interiors are entirely C18 in character. The entrance hall
takes up the ground floor of the centre block to the front. The walls are lined
to 3/4 height with fielded panelling capped by enriched cornice which is swept to
sumptuously carved overmantel on east wall with 2 stags, floral decoration and
grotesque head key beneath segmental cornice. This overmantel owes much to the
engraved designs of Le Pautre and Daniel Narot. Archivolt arched doorways out of
hall with large carved masques. Fine closed string staircase of elmwood the
balusters rising from string with sprouting leaves to feet, moulded swept
handrail. The western ground floor room has full fielded panelling in elm
with inlay work to overmantel. The eastern and north front rooms have
restrained decoration of circa 1773. The first floor has another fully
panelled room with enriched bolection surround to overmantel. First floor
room to right hand on south front has coved ceiling, central rose and panelled
pilasters. Flanking windows all with stucco riceaux and grotesques in the
French manner but after Beosin rather than C18 in character (could this be
of 1900?). The subsidiary rooms have plain dado panelling and cornices. Side
stairs dog legged with turned banisters. The interior is therefore representa-
tive of the 2 periods of building with virtually no later alterations. According
to "Neale's Seats" the south front bore an inscription in Latin, recording the
original building of the Hall by Sir George Tempest and naming Shelton as the

Listing NGR: SE2180930710

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.