This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3885 / 53°23'18"N
Longitude: -1.2235 / 1°13'24"W
OS Eastings: 451739
OS Northings: 388244
OS Grid: SK517882
Mapcode National: GBR MYW8.X1
Mapcode Global: WHDDT.53M4
Entry Name: All Saints Church of England (Aided) School
Listing Date: 29 March 1968
Last Amended: 1 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314677
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335993
Location: Laughton-en-le-Morthen, Rotherham, S25
Civil Parish: Laughton-en-le-Morthen
Built-Up Area: Laughton en le Morthen
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Laughton-en-le-Morthen and Throapham
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/02/2017
SK 58 NM,
HIGH STREET (north side),
All Saints C. E. (Aided) School
(Parish previously listed as: Thurcroft)
(formerly listed as Village School)
School. Early C17, extended 1850; C20 alterations and addition. C17 work of
rubble limestone, C19 work ashlar limestone; Welsh-slate roof. Two storeys
and attic, 3 x 1-bay C17 range extended to right under same roof by 1-storey,
2-bay addition of 1850. C17 part on left has chamfered plinth and large
quoins; porch to right has blocked, arched doorway, shaped kneelers, gable
copings with finial and glazed roof; double-chamfered, mullioned windows on
left of three, two, and three lights have dripstones; matching 1st-floor windows of
three, three, and two lights. 1850 part to right: plinth and quoins; offset lateral
stack with recessed date (?) plaque, chimney shaft removed; cross window and
transomed 3-light double-chamfered window beneath dripstone on right. Roll-
moulded gable copings with apex finial bases to each end of range, ridge
ventilator. Rear: upper wall now glazed as a clerestorey.
Left return: cemented 5-light mullioned window with dripstone beneath,
double-chamfered 3-light mullioned window with dripstone and similar,
blocked, 2-light attic window. Right return: C19 chamfered, pointed doorway
on left of transomed 3-light window, slit window to gable. Built on land
given to Anthony Eyre and Edmund Laughton sometime between 1610 and 1619
(Hey, p132). C20 additions not of special interest.
D. Hey, Buildings of Britain 1550-1750, Yorkshire, 1971 (plate).
Listing NGR: SK5174788251
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings