This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.2349 / 54°14'5"N
Longitude: -1.3458 / 1°20'44"W
OS Eastings: 442737
OS Northings: 482326
OS Grid: SE427823
Mapcode National: GBR MM1G.FP
Mapcode Global: WHD8H.9TCC
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 20 June 1966
Last Amended: 15 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314935
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333300
Location: Thirsk, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO7
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Thirsk
Built-Up Area: Thirsk
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 4282 THIRSK KIRKGATE
6/59 (west side)
Church of St Mary
GV (formerly listed as
Church of St Mary
A fine perpendicular church, outstanding in the region. Begun at the west c1430,
progressed eastwards, being completed in the later C15 as indicated by the flatter
chancel window arches. Restored by Street 1877. Possible fragments of earlier
building visible on west wall of nave. Sandstone ashlar. Lead roofing. Trefoil
pierced battlemented parapet and good gargoyles. 6-bay aisled nave and 2 bay aisleless
chancel, 3 storey west tower and 2 storey south porch. Crypt under chancel
(necessitated by hill site) has a shallow tunnel vault. West tower has large 3 light
windows and bell openings. 2-storey nave has 3-light depressed arched windows and
panel tracery. The 3-light aisle windows have 2-centred arches. The single storey
chancel has 3-light basket-arched windows. 5 light east window. Interior: nave
arcade has typical perpendicular pier, of a section of 4 shafts and 4 diagonal hollows,
and 2-centred arches. Chancel arch of 1877. Reproduction of fine wagon roof with
bosses which was removed because of wood beetle. C15 sedilia and screens to east of
ailes, somewhat restored. C15 north and south doors, the letter with wicket and very
fine carving. Glass: east window of south aisle C15 fragments. South-east window of
south aisle tracery figures by Holiday 1875. Fragment of brass of Robert Thirsk d1419.
Tablet Hon. Aurelia Frederica Storre Fisher of York 1778. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, North
Riding, 1966, p365ff, K.C.H., Yorkshire, North Riding, 1925, p58ff.
Listing NGR: SE4273382325
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings