This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5067 / 54°30'24"N
Longitude: -0.6885 / 0°41'18"W
OS Eastings: 485016
OS Northings: 513164
OS Grid: NZ850131
Mapcode National: GBR RJMB.Q8
Mapcode Global: WHG9Q.DZCH
Entry Name: Church of St Oswald
Listing Date: 6 October 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316097
English Heritage Legacy ID: 327246
Location: Lythe, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO21
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Lythe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Lythe with Sandsend
Church of England Diocese: York
NZ 81 SE LYTHE A174
(north side) Lythe
Church of St Oswald
Parish Church. C13 on older site, largely rebuilt 1910 by Sir Walter Tapper.
Some Saxon carved fragments in tower. North aisle masonry original. Some
medieval masonry in east end. Coursed squared stone, clay tiled roof; added
buttresses to chancel. Nave, aisles, lower chancel with shorter aisles. Large
square west tower with short stone spire. South porch. 4-bay nave, 3-bay
chancel. Large sloped and stepped buttresses define bays. Tower of 2 stages
has paired lancet bell openings with quatrefoil spandrel, corbel table and
parapet. Small lucarnes to spire. Battered buttresses to porch with 2-centred
door arch and nook shafts, low parapet. Good rainwater heads, dated 1911.
Vaulted porch roof has carved boss. Oak door linen-fold panelled. Small bap-
tistery to west of tower. Interior: alternating round and octagonal arcade
piers. Rib vault and oak gallery to tower. Arch-braced collar-beam nave roofs
appears to use old timbers as do beam-and-joist aisle roofs, all moulded.
Screen with organ case above. Vaulted south aisle chapel. Several Georgian
Listing NGR: NZ8501613164
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings