This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.321 / 52°19'15"N
Longitude: 1.1466 / 1°8'47"E
OS Eastings: 614545
OS Northings: 273868
OS Grid: TM145738
Mapcode National: GBR TJL.GQC
Mapcode Global: VHL9F.TXJM
Entry Name: 5, Broad Street
Listing Date: 15 June 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316524
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468238
Location: Eye, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Eye
Built-Up Area: Eye (Mid Suffolk)
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Eye St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM1473 BROAD STREET
585-1/7/8 (East side)
Formerly known as: Premises occupied by JT Terry BROAD STREET.
House and shop. c1460, extended c1480 and with front block
added early C17, remodelled mid C18. Timber-framed, plastered,
roughcast and colourwashed. Plaintile roofs. Lobby entrance
EXTERIOR: roughcast facade of 2 storeys in 3-window range.
Central 8-panelled door with concentric fretlight within
pedimented doorcase on pilasters. One tripartite sash to right
with 2/2 and 6/6 unhorned sashes. Mid C19 plate-glass shop
front to left returning into north gable end with central door
at corner. 2 tripartite sashes to first floor with 2/2 and 6/6
unhorned glazing bars; central 6/6 unhorned sash within eared
and shouldered architrave. Gabled roof with central C19 stack
with triple octagonal flues. First floor of north return lit
through two 6/6 unhorned sashes.
2-storey range of c1480 extends east along Church Street: high
brick plinth, exposed studs and jettied first floor. Central
door in one of two former entrances, each with wave-moulded
jambs and ogeed heads. One 2-light early C19 metal casement
left and a similar 3-light casement to right. Three 2-light
early C19 first-floor casements. Gabled roof hipped to east
end over a single-bay east extension which represents a c1460
range originally with the gable-end facing the street. Jetty
underbuilt with C19 door and display windows. One 2-light
early C19 casement to first floor. Roof continuous with main
range and supported on arched braces. Rear of this range
INTERIOR: C18 west range with complete set of early C18
large-framed panelling to front room. Moulded cornice and dado
rail. Fluted Roman Doric pilasters flank chimneypiece.
6-panelled fielded doors. Central passage cut through stack. 2
blocked doorways formerly opening into room now occupied by
shop premises have fluted pilasters. Attic flight only remains
of early C17 closed-string staircase: square newels with
arched panels and pierced splat balusters; moulded handrail.
C18 roof of staggered butt purlins, cambered collars and
principals. East-west range originally one room deep. Frame
with jowled principal posts. Crown post roof consisting of
square crown posts with straight braces to crown purlin only.
South wing retains at roof level one bay of a crown post roof,
now without the post itself.
Listing NGR: TM1454573868
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings