History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Catterick Bridge

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brough with St. Giles, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.3893 / 54°23'21"N

Longitude: -1.6515 / 1°39'5"W

OS Eastings: 422730

OS Northings: 499369

OS Grid: SE227993

Mapcode National: GBR JKXP.8B

Mapcode Global: WHC6F.LXSZ

Entry Name: Catterick Bridge

Listing Date: 4 February 1969

Last Amended: 6 November 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317092

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322065

Location: Brough with St. Giles, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Brough with St. Giles

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Catterick St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Catterick Bridge

Listing Text

SE 29 NW
8/2 Catterick Bridge
4/2/69 (Formerly listed in the
Parish of Brough)


Bridge. 1422, probably rebuilt 1565-90, much repaired C17, widened 1792.
Older bridge for William de Burgh of Brough Hall, widening by John Carr of
York. Sandstone ashlar. 4 arches separated by triangular cutwaters with
hollow-chamfered tops sweeping up to canted pedestrian retreats. Band.
Parapets with triangular coping terminating in circular bollards, the
downstream parapet curving outwards in plan. Older bridge on upstream side:
central 2 arches of 2 slightly-pointed chamfered orders, outer arches
semicircular and faced with C18 stonework. Undersides of earlier arches
bear masons' marks. The Carr bridge on downstream side: 3 semicircular
arches and 1 segmental arch, with torus archivolts. Small barrel-vaulted
chamber in spandrel adjacent to southernmost arch on downstream side. The
contract for building the bridge survives in the County Record Office.
There was a chantry chapel, dedicated to St Anne, founded in 1505, on the
south-east side of the medieval bridge. Part of downstream parapet
dismantled at time of resurvey. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument. Partly
in the parish of Brough with St Giles. E Jervoise, Ancient Bridges of The
North of England, (1931), p 87; York Georgian Society, The Works in.
Architecture of John Carr (1973), p 6; VCH i, p 301.

Listing NGR: SE2273099369

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.