History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Waddow Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Waddington, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8796 / 53°52'46"N

Longitude: -2.4048 / 2°24'17"W

OS Eastings: 373484

OS Northings: 442679

OS Grid: SD734426

Mapcode National: GBR CRNL.50

Mapcode Global: WH96B.1R45

Plus Code: 9C5VVHHW+V3

Entry Name: Waddow Hall

Listing Date: 16 November 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1318094

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183309

Location: Waddington, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

Civil Parish: Waddington

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Waddington St Helen

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Waddington

Description

SD 734 426 WADDINGTON

SD 74 SW

10/137 Waddow Hall
16.11.1954
- II
Large house, late C18th with early C17th remains. Pebbledashed
rubble with slate roof. 2 storeys with attics, the south facade
having a continuous dormer added after the house was acquired by the
Girl Guide Association in 1927. Main block of 5 bays with projecting
quoins, moulded cornice, and parapet. The Windows have architraves and
are sashed, the lower panes having no glazing bars. The doorway, reached
by 4 steps, has a semi-circular head having a fanlight with radiating
glazing bars, and is flanked by Tuscan pilasters with broken fluted
entablature and open pediment with mutules. The attic storey is of 5
bays having similar windows, but with plain stone surrounds. Set back
slightly to the left are a further 4 bays, with projecting quoins, sill
bands, and a string course. The windows are similar to those of the
rest of the facade, but have plain stone surrounds. The attic storey
is of 5 bays; 4 axial chimney caps are set back from the ridge, with a
5th chimney on the left-hand gable. Towards the rear both gables- have
copings of C17th type. At the rear of the main house a section of
continuous drip course remains, truncated by a tall stair window with
plain stone surround and semi-circular head. To its right is a 4-light
mullioned window with outer chamfer and inner hollow chamfer, partly
reconstructed. Interior. The left-hand front room of the main block
has a plaster cornice, fluted frieze and band of festoons. The doors
of the 2 front rooms are of early-to-mid C19th type, having flat panels
with raised mouldings forming a border, The rear hall contains a flying
stair with stick balusters and swept handrail. 2 moulded main joists are
exposed, possibly C17th. A C17th decorated lintel, having a central
device of a head flanked by wings, is re-used over a fireplace. On the
flat floor of the western part of the house are hardwood main Ceiling
joists, not chamfered and only of moderate scantling. These are also
said to be part of an earlier house. A painting of 1690 hanging in the
house shows a building with early C17th details, and proportions similar
to those of the present house.


Listing NGR: SD7348442679

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.