This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3034 / 54°18'12"N
Longitude: -1.8858 / 1°53'8"W
OS Eastings: 407529
OS Northings: 489762
OS Grid: SE075897
Mapcode National: GBR HL8P.J3
Mapcode Global: WHC6X.0398
Entry Name: Bolton Hall
Listing Date: 13 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318591
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321801
Location: Preston-under-Scar, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Preston-under-Scar
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 08 NE PRESTON-UNDER-SCAR BOLTON HALL
9/54 Bolton Hall
Country house. Late C17, rebuilt after a fire in 1902. For Charles
Powlett, Duke of Bolton. Roughcast brick with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate
roofs. 3 storeys and basement; central block with flanking wings at right
angles, 2:5:2; further ranges to west. Main haul: plinth. Chamfered
rusticated quoins. Balustraded parapet linking wings. Windows in
architraves. Basement with 12-pane unequally-hung sash windows, and in
centre steps leading to front door. Central doorway with part-glazed paired
leaves in architrave with pulvinated frieze and cornice. Above, coat of
arms. On ground floor, 18-pane sash windows. First and second floors: sash
windows with glazing bars. Bands between floors. Ornate lead rainwater
heads, dated 1678, and down pipes. Inner returns of wings: 2 bays of
windows as before. Cornice and balustraded parapets overall. Hipped roofs.
Chimney-stacks at ends and at junctions of wings with central block.
Central weathervane, flag-staff over right wing. To left of main block,
added range of single storey and basement and 3 bays, continuing
fenestration and other details of hall, except for blind parapet. To left
again, a 1-bay pavilion with 6-pane sash window to second floor, cornice and
blind parapet, and large stack to right. Further to left, 2-storey, 5-bay
range, the central bay projecting slightly, and with chamfered rusticated
quoins. On ground floor, 4 16-pane sash windows (bay 1 blank); 18-pane
sashes on first floor. Hipped roof. Rear elevation of main block: 3
storeys; central block with recessed wings, 2:5:2. Chamfered rusticated
quoins. Central doorway with part-glazed paired leaves in architrave with
embellished frieze and consoles supporting broken segmental pediment
containing keystone with cherub mask. Bands. Windows as on front
elevation. Corniced and balustraded parapets. Stacks at ends and between
bays 2 and 3, 5 and 6, 7 and 8. Rainwater goods and some C17 panelling
inside the hall imported from a house in Winchester at the rebuilding.
VCH i, p. 268.
Listing NGR: SE0752989762
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings