This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.4197 / 54°25'11"N
Longitude: -1.9968 / 1°59'48"W
OS Eastings: 400304
OS Northings: 502700
OS Grid: NZ003027
Mapcode National: GBR GKHB.HD
Mapcode Global: WHB54.95DL
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 21 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318615
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321939
Location: Arkengarthdale, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL11
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Arkengarthdale
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
NZ 00 SW
Church of St Mary the
Church. 1818, for George Brown, lord of the manor of Arkengarthdale.
Coursed rubble, graduated Westmorland slate roof. Commissioners'
church in the Early English style. Nave and chancel under one roof,
vestry projecting on north side, west tower. 5 bays, of 2-light windows
with Y-tracery, divided by thin buttresses; sixth bay with blank window
under gable between pinnacles. East window of 4 lights. 3-stage tower,
with blank lancets on north and south sides of lower 2 stages, belfrey
openings with Y-tracery on third stage. Entry by west door of tower,
under 4-centred arch. Interior: large single hall with no aisles or
chancel divisions. West gallery supported on quadrilobate wooden
columns. Fittings: original font with fluted column supporting small
basin and pyramidal cover; also font given by George Gilpin-Brown, 1891.
Fragments of stained pitch-pine box pews at west end, the rest made into
dado. Pews late C19. Original stained pitch-pine pulpit and simple
turned baluster altar rail. Commandment boards. Memorials to George
Brown, donor of the church, and Rev John Gilpin. Replaced older church
at Arkle Town, which had been undermined by flooding.
Listing NGR: NZ0030402700
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings