This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0936 / 51°5'37"N
Longitude: -2.0967 / 2°5'48"W
OS Eastings: 393325
OS Northings: 132707
OS Grid: ST933327
Mapcode National: GBR 2XZ.BQW
Mapcode Global: FRA 66H7.8ZK
Entry Name: Nos 65 and 66 (The Archway) with Flanking Walls
Listing Date: 6 January 1966
Last Amended: 6 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318805
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320893
Location: Fonthill Bishop, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Fonthill Bishop
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Fonthill Gifford Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
FONTHILL GIFFORD FONTHILL PARK
ST 93 SW (north side)
1/104 Nos 65 and 66 (The
Archway) with flanking
- walls (formerly listed
6.1.66 as Entrance Gateway to
Fonthill Park with
Archway with lodges and walls flanking approach to park. About 1756, for Alderman
William Beckford and probably by John Vardy, flanking walls c1860 possibly by
G Devey. Limestone ashlar with much vermiculated detail the stone of the flanking
walls is much redder in colour, slate pitched roof to arch, lead flats to lodges.
Classical archway with vermiculated block rustication to pilasters and voussoirs,
rocky mask keystone, heavy modillioned cornice and pediment with large urn finials
with vermiculated bands. Either side are 2-storey lodges, designed as if single-
storey with one large 20-pane sash with thick glazing bars, vermiculated pilasters
to balustraded parapet. No 65 has large ashlar stacks and single-storey extension
with keyed oculus and large enriched volute against main lodge. No 66 has C20
single-storey extension concealed behind curved wall with balustrade and end pier
with urn finials. Six-panelled doors face each other within arch, oculi over.
North facing side has similar detail, but blind windows, attached walls with round-
arched openings through to rear yard of lodges, large enriched volutes against these
walls and on top of lower long flanking walls. Interior of lodges have stone newel
stairs to first floor of lodge and archway, No 65 retains good 6-panelled doors,
planked doors in round-arched openings to first floor. Flanking walls on north
side about 85 metres long and in six stepped sections with short vermiculated pier
with urn finial between each section and large end piers with vermiculated bands,
modillioned cornices and large urn finial. Photographs from the collection of
G Devey in NMR show these under construction. A very fine entrance to Fonthill
Park, probably built at the same time as Fonthill Splendens (1756 by Hoare,
demolished 1807), and executed by Vardy, after a design by Inigo Jones.
(J Lees-Milne, William Beckford, 1976; T Howl and B Earnshaw, Trumpet at a Distant
Gate, 1985; R White in R Brown, The Architectural Outsiders, 1985)
Listing NGR: ST9332532707
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings