This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.3281 / 54°19'41"N
Longitude: -2.7436 / 2°44'37"W
OS Eastings: 351735
OS Northings: 492761
OS Grid: SD517927
Mapcode National: GBR 9L8D.T7
Mapcode Global: WH82W.TGPV
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity and St George
Listing Date: 30 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318999
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75467
Location: Kendal, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA9
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Kendal
Built-Up Area: Kendal
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Kendal St George
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
In the entry for the following:-
SD 5192 NE KENDAL
8/124 NEW ROAD
Church of Holy Trinity
& St George
The grade shall be amended to read II* (star)
SD 5192 NE KENDAL NEW ROAD
8/124 Church of Holy
Trinity & St George
Roman Catholic church. 1835 by George Webster; sculpture by Thomas Duckett.
Opened for service 1837. Orientated south-east/north-west with altar at latter
end; description applies liturgical orientation with altar at east end. Front:
Hammer-dressed ashlar on chamfered plinth with chamfered strings; stepped
buttress to each corner, and octagonal buttress to either side of projecting
central bay, all terminating in pinnacles. Castellated parapet and apex cross.
Sides: Hammer-dressed limestone blocks on chamfered plinth. Rear: Slobbered
rubble. Graduated slate roofs; corbelled eaves. 6-bay aisleless nave with
porch projecting to west and chancel to east. Early English exterior.
Front: Stone steps up to studded, plank door with pointed
head under hoodmould: 3 stepped lancets above and single lancet in
bay to either side. Statue of st George and Dragon in gable niche.
6 lancets under hoodmould on south return; shorter eastern one has door with
pointed head below. 3 stepped lancets to chancel with single lancet in bay to
either side. Interior: Enclosed porch under western gallery/organ loft, with
panelled front, supported on arcade of 4-centred arches carried between slender,
clustered columns. High altar in splayed recess with crocketed hoodmould to
pointed head; columns to reveals carry soffit ribs with panelling between.
Life-size statue in niche on either side set within crocketed gabled surround;
left-hand statue Ecce Homo, right-hand St George (after Donatello). 5 roof
trusses have wooden brackets, on corbels, supporting tie-beam with pierced
trefoil-headed arcade infill above. Cast-iron chancel rail with pierced
trefoil-headed panels; octagonal wooden pulpit with carved panels in front of
rail to left. Octagonal stone font in pierced wooden enclosure on north side
under gallery. Small octagonal marble Holy-water stoup, on wooden plinth to
either side of entrance, signed by Sylvester Mooney; one dated 1836 and the
other 1837. Good late C19/early C20 stained glass; some re-used C17 (Flemish?)
stained glass panels in porch windows.
Listing NGR: SD5173592761
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings