History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II Listed Building in Remenham, Wokingham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5511 / 51°33'4"N

Longitude: -0.8898 / 0°53'23"W

OS Eastings: 477076

OS Northings: 184164

OS Grid: SU770841

Mapcode National: GBR C4L.PVZ

Mapcode Global: VHDWG.J8HR

Plus Code: 9C3XH426+C3

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Last Amended: 23 December 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1319071

English Heritage Legacy ID: 41276

Location: Remenham, Wokingham, RG9

County: Wokingham

Civil Parish: Remenham

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Remenham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Henley on Thames

Description

SU 78 SE
1/3

REMENHAM
REMENHAM VILLAGE
Church of St Nicholas

26.1.67

GV
II

Parish Church. C14 rebuilt in 1838 on site of old church and completely restored 1870-1872 by Ronald Plumbe. Flint with Bath stone dressings, tile roof.

Three bay nave, apsidal chancel, west tower, vestries added 1892 on north side of chancel, south aisle porch and organ chamber 1870. Tower, two stages, deep string course and embattled parapet, octagonal buttresses at angles of diapered stone and flint work. North wall of nave contains at east end an early C14 chalk window with two trefoil lights with flowing tracery under pointed head and the design of this is repeated in the windows of the rebuilding. Arcade of three pointed arches on circular pillars on south of nave, principal doorway at west end of south wall. Stained glass in the apse by Kempe and an elaborate iron screen c1870 with vine trails presented by Sir John Noble, at one time owner of Park Place.

Monuments: three remain from old church; under the bell tower on the north wall a brass to Thomas Maryat died 1591 of Vine Place, later Park mace, and a brass to John Newman, pastor, 1622 on south wall. A scroll pediment on north wall of nave to the Reverend Griffeths Gunnis, 1727.

Listing NGR: SU7707684164

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.