History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Velho Cemetery of the Spanish and Portuguese Jewish Congregation of London

A Grade II Listed Building in Bethnal Green, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5231 / 51°31'23"N

Longitude: -0.045 / 0°2'41"W

OS Eastings: 535729

OS Northings: 182276

OS Grid: TQ357822

Mapcode National: GBR J8.RBR

Mapcode Global: VHGQV.5ZL8

Entry Name: Velho Cemetery of the Spanish and Portuguese Jewish Congregation of London

Listing Date: 30 May 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1319658

English Heritage Legacy ID: 442420

Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E1

County: London

District: Tower Hamlets

Electoral Ward/Division: Bethnal Green

Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St John on Bethnal Green

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Bethnal Green

Listing Text

MILE END ROAD E1
1. (West Side)
4431
TQ 3582 10/918 Velbo Cemetery of the
Spanish and Portuguese
Jewish Congretation of London
II GV

2.
Opened 1657. The oldest Jewish burial ground in England, opened
a year after the Anglo-Jewish resettlement under Oliver Cromwell.
Burials from 1657 to 1758 There are a few table tombs, including
a group of 6 in the south west corner but most tombstones are laid
flat. Earlier lettering in Portuguese, later ones in Hebrew and
English. Stones mainly limestone, a few of marble, forming a paved
area with very narrow grass margins between. Centre path. Burials
include that of Abraham Fernandes Carvajal, the founder of the
Anglo-Jewish Comniunity and those of 2 Chief Rabbis:- Nieto and Meldola.
The disused cemetery was reopened for the burial of the latter in 1828
in order that he might be buried at the feet of Rabbi Nieto. Old
brickwork in north wall. (Tablet in wall listed separately.)

The Jewish Cemeteries form a group between Mile End Road and
Alderney Road


Listing NGR: TQ3572982276

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.