This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4218 / 51°25'18"N
Longitude: -2.4592 / 2°27'33"W
OS Eastings: 368163
OS Northings: 169304
OS Grid: ST681693
Mapcode National: GBR JX.PN3R
Mapcode Global: VH88X.BJ7C
Entry Name: Granchen
Listing Date: 11 May 1953
Last Amended: 15 July 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1319762
English Heritage Legacy ID: 28555
Location: Bitton, South Gloucestershire, BS30
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Bitton
Built-Up Area: Bitton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Warmley Syston and Bitton
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
980/15/3B CHURCH ROAD
21-NOV-02 (East side)
(Formerly listed as:
OUTBUILDING TO WEST OF THE GRANGE)
5118 BITTON CHURCH ROAD
(formerly listed as
ST 6869 15/3B outbuilding to west of
11.5.53 the Grange)
Former kitchen wing to The Grange. Early C18, with later alterations. Local rubble stone, originaly rendered, with Bath stone ashlar dressings. Hipped pantile roof. Rectangular plan.
EXTERIOR: Triple arcade to ground floor with entrance to centre: elliptically-arched openings with ashlar surrounds, moulded imposts and keystones. Openings now infilled with inserted modern casement windows. String course at first floor level. Upper floor has three round windows with moulded surrounds, with keystones at the cardinal points. Lower third of windows infilled with rubble; swivelling windows retain old glass. Rear (garden) elevation is plainer and more altered, with modern windows. East elevation altered.
INTERIOR: now partially sub-divided, the ground floor is dominated by a large open hearth, with an elliptical arch of moulded ashlar, with keystone. Cellar is extensive, sub-divided into two main sections with barrel-vaulted roofs, with original wine bins, slate chopping block, etc. Upper floor retains several early C19 cast iron grates. Roof structure substantially intact.
HISTORY: The name 'Granchen' is a shortening of 'Grange' and 'kitchen': this was the original function of the building, which is attached to the separately-listed Grange [q.v.]. The extensive cellars and size of the hearth all bear this out. The arcaded south front was clearly intended for show, and can be compared with the garden house of c.1720 at Widcombe Manor, with also has a triple arched loggia to the ground floor and a hipped roof (but concealed behind a parapet: the elevation of 'Granchen' seems to have been altered in this repsect). The building was extensively refurbished in the 1960s and -70s, when the eastern extension was added. John Wood the younger is believed to have occupied the Grange in the later 18th century, but the front is more likely to be of an earlier date than this.
Listing NGR: ST6816369305
Other nearby listed buildings