This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3167 / 52°19'0"N
Longitude: -1.4045 / 1°24'16"W
OS Eastings: 440686
OS Northings: 268901
OS Grid: SP406689
Mapcode National: GBR 6N9.RPP
Mapcode Global: VHBXL.L1TB
Entry Name: Church of St Esprit
Listing Date: 6 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1319938
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308748
Location: Marton, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23
Civil Parish: Marton
Built-Up Area: Marton
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Marton St Esprit
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
MARTON NORTH STREET
SP46NW (North side)
5/104 Church of St. Esprit
Church. Early C13 origins. Lower part of tower C13, upper part late C14/C15.
Rest mostly rebuilt 1871 by G. Punshon. Squared coursed lias with limestone
dressings; tower has base, quoins, bands and dressings of red sandstone, and
upper part of limestone ashlar. Tile roofs have coped gable parapets with
weatherings and cross finials, and ridge cresting. Aisled nave, chancel, west
tower and south porch. Gothic Revival style. One-bay chancel, 2-bay nave.
Chancel has sandstone quoins. 3-light east window and similar 2-light south
windows have reticulated tracery and hood moulds with foliage stops. Aisles and
porch have splayed plinth and sill course, and shallow buttresses. Porch has
moulded Decorated style doorway with hood mould and carved stops. Early C13
south doorway inside has roll moulding and simple nook-shafts. Double-leaf
doors. Aisles have trefoiled round-arched lights throughout. South aisle has
east and south-west lancets, triple light to south-east, and paired west lights.
North aisle and organ chamber has chamfered arched north-east door, north lancet
and triple lancet; paired north-west and west lights. North and south
clerestories of 2 paired lancets. Tower of 3 stages has splayed plinth. First
stage has trefoiled west lancet. Splay between stages. Second stage has lancet
to each side. Moulded string course. Third stage has 2-light Perpendicular bell
openings. Moulded cornice and parapet. Single-storey projection of 1871 in
south-east angle has arched door and chamfered light. Interior: chancel has
arched braced roof with short crown posts. East window has attached shafts and
hood mould. Arch to organ chamber has stiff leaf capitals. Early English style
chancel arch of 2 hollow chamfered orders has triple shafts with stiff-leaf
capitals. Nave has hammer-beam roof. Segmental-pointed tower arch. C14/C15
two-bay south arcade of 2 chamfered orders has octagonal piers and simple
moulded capitals. Similar north arcade of 1871 has more elaborate capitals. Text
banners flanking chancel arch, and framing large cross on south wall, all of
painted metal. Aisle eastern windows have detached shafts. Fittings: stone
pulpit and reading desk of 1871 flanking chancel arch. Stained glass: east
window 1873. The rebuilding cost 1,800.
(V,C.H.; Warwickshire, Vol.6, pp.172-173; Buildings of England; Warwickshire,
p.348; Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, 1892, pp.149-150).
Listing NGR: SP4068668901
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings