This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9763 / 54°58'34"N
Longitude: -1.6087 / 1°36'31"W
OS Eastings: 425146
OS Northings: 564699
OS Grid: NZ251646
Mapcode National: GBR SPZ.72
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.856Y
Entry Name: 1-5, Ellison Place
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320379
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304535
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: South Jesmond
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 2564 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE ELLISON PLACE
17/224 Nos. 1-5 consecutive
Terrace of houses, in use as Polytechnic buildings, offices and a surgery at the time of listing. Circa 1810. English bond brick with painted ashlar plinth and dressings; Welsh slate roofs. 5 houses of 3 storeys and attics, from 5 to 3 bays. Nos. one and 2 have central ashlar porches an classical style, that to No. one having arch, pilasters and cornice and blocking course; No.2 has pilasters and open segmental pediment with cornice and blocking course 6-panelled doors, double in porches, under fanlights; doorcases to Nos. 3 and 4 have fluted necking and dentilled pediments; doorcase removed from No. 5. Renewed sashes with wedge stone lintels; projecting stone sills to second floor, sill bands to ground and first floors. Porch of No.1 has plaque inscribed 'Matthew White Esq., Mayor/Joseph Atkinson Esq., Sheriffe/1692. Interior of No.1 has Venetian stair landing window in Ionic case with arms of Newcastle in glass. Historical note: No. one was the Mansion House of Newcastle in the C19. No. 5 was the home of William Boutland Wilkinson, an early patentee of reinforced concrete in the modern sense. Sources: J.M. Brown Transactions of the Newcomen Society XXXIX; W.F. Cassie 'Early Reinforced Concrete in Newcastle upon Tyne' Structural Engineer April 1955.
Listing NGR: NZ2514664699
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings