History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Divine Unity and Durant Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in South Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9759 / 54°58'33"N

Longitude: -1.6072 / 1°36'25"W

OS Eastings: 425242

OS Northings: 564662

OS Grid: NZ252646

Mapcode National: GBR SQ6.5P

Mapcode Global: WHC3R.86Y6

Entry Name: Church of the Divine Unity and Durant Hall

Listing Date: 7 August 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245126

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468816

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Electoral Ward/Division: South Jesmond

Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Newcastle Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Jesmond

Listing Text

NZ 2564 NW
1833/17/10070

NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE,
ELLISON PLACE (South side),
No. 30
Church of the Divine Unity, and Durant Hall

II

Unitarian church and attached meeting room. 1938-40. Designed by Cackett, Burns Dick & Mackellar. Concrete and steel with brown brick cladding and reconstituted ashlar stone dressings and flat concrete roofs. Vertical brick plinth. Square east tower, nave with aisles, west gallery and north porch. Main north front has large recessed entrance with reconstituted stone triple archway with 4 rectangular panelled columns supporting a cornice, with simple iron railings and gates. Inner doorway has moulded surround and double panelled doors, flanked by windows with plain ashlar surrounds. To left 5 tall rectangular windows in plain ashlar surrounds and to right a single smaller 3-light casement window in similar surround. Single doorway at base of tower. Tower has very tall single window to north, west and south fronts with set back vertical brick parapet with ashlar coping. East end has entrance to Durant Hall with plain brick surround and recessed double panelled doors. East front has 3 windows with plain ashlar surrounds and flanking drainpipes. Projecting staircase towe to right 4 storey with 2 square windows to each floor. South front originally obscured by earlier building which have been demolished . INTERIOR has nave with aisles without arcades, raised raked gallery at west end, slightly raised chancel with organ chamber to north and vestry to south. Fittings include original wooden pews with decorated bench ends, and similar choir stalls. Large square wooden pulpit with inlaid wave bands and moulded top, similar altar and reading desk. Original globe light fittings. Abstract patterned reredos. Wooden organ case. Glazed panel doors and boxed heaters throughout. Fine square coffered ceilings to nave and aisles. Durant Hall and other rooms have similar high quality interior fittings.


Listing NGR: NZ2524264662

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

NZ 2564 NW
1833/17/10070

NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE,
ELLISON PLACE (South side),
No. 30
Church of the Divine Unity, and Durant Hall

II

Unitarian church and attached meeting room. 1938-40. Designed by Cackett, Burns Dick & Mackellar. Concrete and steel with brown brick cladding and reconstituted ashlar stone dressings and flat concrete roofs. Vertical brick plinth. Square east tower, nave with aisles, west gallery and north porch. Main north front has large recessed entrance with reconstituted stone triple archway with 4 rectangular panelled columns supporting a cornice, with simple iron railings and gates. Inner doorway has moulded surround and double panelled doors, flanked by windows with plain ashlar surrounds. To left 5 tall rectangular windows in plain ashlar surrounds and to right a single smaller 3-light casement window in similar surround. Single doorway at base of tower. Tower has very tall single window to north, west and south fronts with set back vertical brick parapet with ashlar coping. East end has entrance to Durant Hall with plain brick surround and recessed double panelled doors. East front has 3 windows with plain ashlar surrounds and flanking drainpipes. Projecting staircase towe to right 4 storey with 2 square windows to each floor. South front originally obscured by earlier building which have been demolished . INTERIOR has nave with aisles without arcades, raised raked gallery at west end, slightly raised chancel with organ chamber to north and vestry to south. Fittings include original wooden pews with decorated bench ends, and similar choir stalls. Large square wooden pulpit with inlaid wave bands and moulded top, similar altar and reading desk. Original globe light fittings. Abstract patterned reredos. Wooden organ case. Glazed panel doors and boxed heaters throughout. Fine square coffered ceilings to nave and aisles. Durant Hall and other rooms have similar high quality interior fittings.


Listing NGR: NZ2524264662

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.