History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Almondsbury, South Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5373 / 51°32'14"N

Longitude: -2.6201 / 2°37'12"W

OS Eastings: 357086

OS Northings: 182226

OS Grid: ST570822

Mapcode National: GBR JP.G9NR

Mapcode Global: VH887.JMQC

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 30 March 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1321095

English Heritage Legacy ID: 35116

Location: Almondsbury, South Gloucestershire, BS35

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Almondsbury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Pilning with Compton Greenfield

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Almondsbury

Listing Text


ST 58 SE ALMONDSBURY COMPTON GREENFIELD

11/19 Church of All Saints
30.3.60
G.V. II*

Parish church. c1170, C14 tower, rebuilt 1852 in Neo-Norman style by
C S Fripp and restored 1896 by C.E. Ponting. Vestry 1924-5 by P. Hartland
Thomas. Coursed rubble and ashlar, stone slated roof. West tower, nave and
chancel, south porch, north transept, north organ chamber and north vestry.
Decorated style 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, small west door with
pointed arch and moulded surround, hood mould and stops and relieving arch over,
3-light window above with Y tracery, 2-light smaller windows at upper stages
with bell louvres and trefoiled cusped tracery above in plain architraves,
embattled parapet, stair turret with slit windows on south side. Nave has 3
windows to south and 3 to north, corbels, corbel table, stone guttering,
weathered corner buttresses and a gable at the east end with coped verges and
cross finial. South doorway has elaborate late Norman mouldings, the hood
mould with reptile-head stops and 3 orders to the architrave of the door,
chevron mouldings, double key pattern and an interlaced double chevron undercut
in high relief; jamb shafts have foliate capitals. Chancel has corner
buttresses, corbels and corbel table, coped verges to gable and cross finial
with triple window at the east end and lancet above. Organ chamber has a
pitched roof with coped verges and kneelers with a single round-headed window at
the east end. Nave transept has a gable with coped verges, window and slit
above. Vestry has 4-centred arched windows in ashlar surrounds, a pointed
arched door, and plain cornice with parapet and coping. Small flat-roofed C20
extension on north side with small 4-centred arched door with ashlar lintel, and
parapet.
Interior: Tower has a west door with triangular head and 3-light Decorated
window above with cusped bar tracery and 1914-18 war memorial stained glass with
central figure of St. George. High, pointed arch to nave with chamfered jambs
and stair tower to south with small entrance door in ashlar surround. Nave has
3 windows to south with C19 stained glass of St. Paul, Titus and Timothy and
3 plain windows to north, all round headed with deep splayed reveals and
relieving arch over. Roof of 7 bays with collars and arch-braces. Restored
pointed arch to north transept has jamb shafts with scalloped capitals and round
headed north window at upper level in deep splayed reveals with relieving arch
over. Vestry door in ashlar surround and blocked entry to organ chamber with
segmental head. Chancel arch is Transitional, very pointed, jamb shafts with
scalloped capitals. 4 centred arched opening to left in splayed ashlar reveal
with large stop to the hood mould on the right, possibly indicating position of
former rood-stair. Small slit window at apex of gable in deep splayed reveal.
Chancel of 4 bays with 4 centred arched opening to organ chamber. Triple
round-headed window at east end, central light being taller, with C19 stained
glass of the Crucifixion, Mary and a disciple to the sides. 2 windows to south
with C19 stained glass of St. Monica and Margaret. Black and white marble
floor at altar end. Fittings: 2 marble monuments, to Henry Davis, 1851, and
Emily Davis, 1866, both by T. Gaffin, Regent Street, London. Wooden shield
with royal arms of George III over stair turret door. Octagonal perpendicular
font with wooden cover. Stalls, benches, pews and pulpit of 1924-5 by
P. Hartland Thomas. (Sources: Verey, D. : Buildings of England, Gloucestershire
The Vale and The Forest of Dean. 1970).


Listing NGR: ST5708682226


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.