This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5311 / 51°31'51"N
Longitude: -2.6207 / 2°37'14"W
OS Eastings: 357037
OS Northings: 181537
OS Grid: ST570815
Mapcode National: GBR JP.GPH9
Mapcode Global: VH887.JSC4
Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 21 October 1952
Last Amended: 5 December 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1128870
English Heritage Legacy ID: 35129
Location: Almondsbury, South Gloucestershire, BS35
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Almondsbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Pilning with Compton Greenfield
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 58 SE ALMONDSBURY HOLLYWOOD LANE (west side)
21.10.52 Manor Farmhouse
Farmhouse, now house. Early C17 with C18 additions. Coursed limestone rubble,
limestone and sandstone dressings, pantiled roofs with 3 rows of stone slates at
eaves, limestone coped verges with finials, brick stack to west gable, double
Roman tiled rear wing. L-plan. Through passage, symmetrical south front.
3 storeys and 3 windows, 4-light casements at ground and ist floor, 3-light at
2nd floor, all ovolo mullions with sandstone relieving arch and timber lintel,
decreasing in size with each storey, central 2-storey porch has 3-light casement
at 1st floor front and 2-light to sides, door in chamfered frame with ovolo-
moulded over-lintel. East side has cellar door with strap hinges and timber
lintel, blocked windows at ground and 1st floor and 3-light ovolo-mullioned
window at 2nd floor under timber lintel, C18 single storey dairy and wash-house
wing has 3-light window to east and west, door in wooden frame to west and
buttress at gable end. Rear has large external stack to main block, rear block
has separate pitched roof with parapet at each end, irregular 2 and 3-light
casements all with ovolo mullions, panelled and studded door to left in moulded
wooden frame. Interior: moulded and stopped beams, ovolo moulded door frames,
wide dog-leg stair, studded doors, west room on 2nd floor has remains of plaster
over-mantel with fleur-de-lys design. Passage panelling said to have been sold
to pay family debts and lost in S.S. Titanic. (Sources: Hall, Linda : Rural
Houses of North Avon and South Gloucestershire 1400-1720. 1983).
Listing NGR: ST5703781537
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings