This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3691 / 50°22'8"N
Longitude: -4.1764 / 4°10'35"W
OS Eastings: 245316
OS Northings: 54401
OS Grid: SX453544
Mapcode National: GBR R4Q.CQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 2842.8R3
Entry Name: Devonport Column
Listing Date: 25 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322008
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473549
Location: Plymouth, PL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Devonport
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX4554 KER STREET, Devonport
740-1/54/150 Devonport Column
Commemorative column. 1824 by John Foulston. Granite fluted
Greek Doric column surmounted by railed platform with
flagpole, the column standing on a panelled plinth set on a
high stepped granite ashlar platform approached by steps. To
south side is a cast-iron plaque with crown and inscribed:
"Devonport, January 1st 1824".
This monument commemorates the change of name from Plymouth
Dock to Devonport and the Charter of the Borough.
Part of an important group of civic structures by Foulston,
some of the most remarkable for their date in the country.
Listing NGR: SX4531654401
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings