History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Abbey

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thorpe-le-Soken, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8565 / 51°51'23"N

Longitude: 1.1652 / 1°9'54"E

OS Eastings: 618064

OS Northings: 222286

OS Grid: TM180222

Mapcode National: GBR VRK.FG4

Mapcode Global: VHLCS.4LVM

Entry Name: The Abbey

Listing Date: 29 April 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1322618

English Heritage Legacy ID: 120304

Location: Thorpe-le-Soken, Tendring, Essex, CO16

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken

Built-Up Area: Thorpe-le-Soken

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Thorpe le Soken

Listing Text

TM 1822-1922 (north side)

9/75 The Abbey

House. Mid-C16, extended in C18 and C19. Timber framed and brick, mainly
plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Main range facing SW, with an
internal stack at each end, of 2 storeys and attics, and 2-storey porch of
plastered brick to centre front. Complex series of C18 and C19 2-storey rear
extensions, the whole forming an approximately square plan. Ground floor, 2 C18
splayed bays of casements, altered in C20, with dentilled cornices. First
floor, 2 C18 3-light casements with rectangular leading, altered in C20.
6-panel door with panelled reveals and fanlight, inside 2-storey porch with
diagonal buttresses and crenellated parapet. The outer archway has jambs and
4-centred arch chamfered in 2 orders, with a moulded label, and attached shafts
with moulded bases and capitals. At each side is a segmental arch chamfered in
2 orders. On the first floor is an original window of 2 round-headed lights
with hollow-chamfered jambs and semi-circular arch, the mullion removed,
converted to an C18 2-light window with one wrought iron casement and
rectangular leading. Truncated diagonal pinnacle. The left stack has 2 diagonal
shafts. The right stack has 2 octagonal shafts with a recessed panel at the
side. The right return is of plastered brick with a crow-stepped gable. The
left return has on the first floor 3 C18 3-light windows each with a wrought
iron casement. Modern wrought iron sign with date 1583. Jowled posts, close
studding. Underbuilt jetty at front. Richly carved beams, in various foliate
patterns; the rear side of the right axial beam is of spiral-leaf pattern with
an unusual branched stem throughout. Chamfered joists of horizontal section
with step stops. Original carved beams above first floor. In the right
first-floor room one jowl is carved to form a cowled head, defaced. Side-purlin
roof, only partly visible. RCHM 3. First recorded in 1567 as Borowes; then as
Gadlers in 1612, Brickhouse in 1690, Cage Farm in 1779, probably named The Abbey
in 1795 (E.A. Wood, A History of Thorpe-le-Soken to the year 1890, 1975,

Listing NGR: TM1806422286

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.