This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5241 / 54°31'26"N
Longitude: -1.821 / 1°49'15"W
OS Eastings: 411684
OS Northings: 514325
OS Grid: NZ116143
Mapcode National: GBR HJQ4.K0
Mapcode Global: WHC5S.0K44
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322763
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111792
Location: Wycliffe with Thorpe, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Wycliffe with Thorpe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Wycliffe St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
NZ 11 SW WYCLIFFE WITH THORPE WYCLIFFE
7/201 Church of St. Mary
Parish Church. Mid-C13, remodelled in mid-C14, restored late C19. Rubble
with re-used squared-blocks in west end and lower courses; cut dressings.
Low-pitched C20 roofs not visible, except for graduated stone slates on porch
and vestry. Aisleless 4-bay nave with south porch and 3-bay chancel with
north vestry; axis of chancel deflected to south.
Nave has chamfered plinth except at west end; large stepped buttresses, those
at west end diagonal. West window of 3 lancet lights with pierced spandrels,
under hoodmould with animal-head stops; gabled bellcote with twin arches
above. C14 south porch with chamfered plinth, and double-chamfered arch on
semi-octagonal responds with moulded imposts; hoodmould over. Parapet has
central gable with restored sundial; small chamfered window in west wall.
Inside porch are restored stone benches and old studded south door in double-
chamfered arch. To west of porch is a window of 3 lancet lights under a
hollow-chamfered arch, to east two C14 3-light windows with flowing tracery
and moulded hoods. Built into wall between the windows are 2 stone shields
from a late medieval altar tomb and a fine late-C13 cross slab. North wall
of nave has C19 studded door in old moulded arch, and at east end a restored
C13 window of 2 lancet lights with a vesica over.
Chancel has a lower chamfered plinth and stepped buttresses at angles. South
C19 studded door, in old chamfered arch, and three C14 3-light windows as in
nave; the 5-light east window is late C19 re-using a few medieval pieces.
North C13 2-light window like that on north of nave, but unrestored. Vestry
has flat-faced 2-light mullioned window of c.1700 in architrave. Parapets
were heightened by c.l metre in the late C19.
Interior: Chancel colour-washed. Double-chamfered chancel arch with
hoodmould to nave, on moulded imposts. Shouldered doorway to vestry. Small
piscina,with broken bowl, in chancel, adjacent to sedile formed by lowered
windowsill; similar piscina in nave. Medieval stone altar slab. Important
C13 and C14 stained glass in nave and chancel: in north windows C13 grisaille
glass with heraldry, in south windows C14 Holy Trinity, Majesty, Virgin and
Child (twice). St. James the Great, St. Bartholomew and angel musicians.
At west end of nave several Pre-Conquest cross fragments and an Anglo-
Scandinavian hogback, also medieval cross slabs and a low-relief half-effigy.
On chancel floor an incised slab to John Forster, rector, c.1456; and three
brasses to C15 and C16 members of Wycliffe family. Bequest board dated 1870
telling of C18 benefactor; repainted C18 Royal Arms, pater and text boards.
Three C18 brass chandeliers. 1898 carved font. C20 fittings by Thompson
of Kilburn, and 1963 coffered ceilings by William Whitfield. Two bells dated
1607 (not seen).
Listing NGR: NZ1167914325
Other nearby listed buildings