This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.5232 / 54°31'23"N
Longitude: -1.8169 / 1°49'0"W
OS Eastings: 411950
OS Northings: 514231
OS Grid: NZ119142
Mapcode National: GBR HJR4.GB
Mapcode Global: WHC5S.2K3S
Entry Name: Wycliffe Hall
Listing Date: 19 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322784
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111799
Location: Wycliffe with Thorpe, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Wycliffe with Thorpe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Wycliffe St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
NZ 11 SW WYCLIFFE WITH THORPE WYCLIFFE
7/208 Wycliffe Hall
Country house. Medieval core remodelled early-mid C18 for Marmaduke Tunstall II.
North-west wing probably c.1780, as museum for Marmaduke Tunstall III.
Interior restored after 1952 fire, with fittings from Halnaby Hall. South
front ashlar, west front tooled stone with ashlar dressings, other walls
rubble with cut dressings; graduated Lakeland slate roofs except for Welsh
slates on rear part of east wing. Plan; almost square centre block with
flanking wings extending to north to enclose rear courtyard.
South front: 3-storey 3-bay centre and 2-storey end bays. Plinth, rusticated
quoins, 1st floor band, ground and 1st floor sill bands. Half-glazed door
with 9-pane overlight in Tuscan surround, flanked by 12-pane sashes with
triple keystones. Similar sashes to 1st floor, the central in architrave
with swept feet, pediment on consoles and balustraded apron panel; flanking
windows have cornices. 6-pane sashes on 2nd floor. All windows in architraves.
Modillion eaves cornice and parapet with moulded coping. Hipped roof with
tall corniced lateral stacks. Projecting end bays have ground-floor sashes
with triple keystones, and lst-floor sashes with console-bracketed cornices
and balustraded apron panels; hipped roofs with stepped-and-corniced ridge
West elevation 1 + 2 storeys, 5 + 4 bays. Right part has similar detail to
south front; in 2nd bay renewed panelled door in architrave with pulvinated
frieze and modillion cornice. Left part, set slightly forward, is the late
C18 wing: Plinth, sill and impost bands to arcade of round-arched recesses
holding 18-pane sashes with radial heads. Moulded eaves cornice; coped left
gable with stepped-and-corniced end stack.
East elevation shows medieval masonry in taller-left part. Scattered
fenestration includes several small chamfered windows, some blocked; 2 large
Rear elevations: Stair projection with Venetian window; blocked mullioned
windows in centre block and east wing.
Interior: Entrance hall has C13 cross slab set into wall; adjacent Saxon
inscribed stone, mentioned in previous list, now removed. Study has mid-C18
ceiling. Dining room largely 1931, but medieval service doorways concealed
in east wall. Drawing room has carved doors and woodwork, marble fireplace
and decorated ceiling, all from Halnaby. East wing bedrooms with C18 fielded
panelling. Barrel-vaulted cellars beneath west wing.
Listing NGR: NZ1195014231
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings