This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8675 / 54°52'3"N
Longitude: -1.537 / 1°32'13"W
OS Eastings: 429810
OS Northings: 552627
OS Grid: NZ298526
Mapcode National: GBR KDQ4.1X
Mapcode Global: WHC45.CX9B
Entry Name: 2 Arcaded Garden Walls, Piers and Stone Lions to North and West of Lambton Castle
Listing Date: 23 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1323091
English Heritage Legacy ID: 109392
Location: North Lodge, County Durham, DH3
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: North Lodge
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Burnmoor
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NORTH LODGE LAMBTON PARK
NZ 25 SE
4/49 2 arcaded garden
walls, piers and
stone lions to
north and west of
Walls, piers and carved lions. Probably mid C19 ashlar walls and piers; 2
carved stone lions c.1862 by Beale of Newcastle(lions, originally on gables
of demolished Great Hall of Lambton Castle, moved to current position c.1932).
2 separate walls have tall plinths and low arcaded upper sections with regularly-
spaced piers, narrow trefoil-headed pierced arches and moulded coping. L-plan
wall to north of castle, running west for c.55 metres then south for c.15 metres,
has taller square-plan piers, with chamfered edges, at ends and north-west
corner; south-west pier supports a life-sized lion squatting on hind legs and
clasping an ornamental spear. Straight wall, to west of castle, runs west for
c.70 metres; identical taller piers at west end and near east end, the latter
pier supporting an identical stone lion.
Included for group value.
Listing NGR: NZ2981052627
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings