This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7515 / 51°45'5"N
Longitude: -1.252 / 1°15'7"W
OS Eastings: 451730
OS Northings: 206128
OS Grid: SP517061
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.29L
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.77YN
Entry Name: Postmasters Hall
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1323108
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245650
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 5106 SE 9/467 12.1.54.
(ie "Portionists" Hall). RCHM 81. Cl6-17 with modern additions on North.
2-storeyed plastered rubble with 2 gabled attic dormers in a Welsh slate
roof. There is a renewed and slightly moulded string at the 1st floor. The
ground floor has 2 3-light stone caveto-moulded mullioned windows, mostly
renewed, and there is also a single light of the same. In the 1st floor
are 2 3-light stone caveto-moulded windows which may be original, and a single
light of the same. The dormers have 3-light wood casement windows. In the
East gable end are 2 and 3-light original stone moulded mullioned windows;
there are modern stone-faced stacks. The front doorway has a plain stone
frame with a modern bracketed Cl8 style wooden hood; the door is probably
Cl7. Interior. RCHM p 167 b. Includes original panelling, fireplace, overmantel
and a collar beam roof. History. Here was born and here lived Anthony Wood,
antiquary and historian (DNB). For drawing of exterior by J C Buckler in
1821, see Bodl MS Don A 3 1 53.
Beam Hall and Nos 3, 4A and 5 form a group with New Block, Corpus Christi
College and Oriel College.
Listing NGR: SP5172606128
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings