History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Beam Hall, with Number 3

A Grade II* Listed Building in Oxford, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7514 / 51°45'5"N

Longitude: -1.2525 / 1°15'8"W

OS Eastings: 451698

OS Northings: 206119

OS Grid: SP516061

Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.257

Mapcode Global: VHCXV.77QQ

Plus Code: 9C3WQP2X+H2

Entry Name: Beam Hall, with Number 3

Listing Date: 12 January 1954

Last Amended: 28 June 1972

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1369414

English Heritage Legacy ID: 245648

Location: Holywell, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1

County: Oxfordshire

Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell

Built-Up Area: Oxford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in


(North Side)
Beam Hall, with No 3
(Formerly listed as
Beam Hall)
SP 5106 SE 9/465 12.1.54.
RCHM 79. Built in 2 sections, that on the East being built as a Hall, in
C15 and that on the West about 1600; the -latter was altered in Cl8 and in
1885. The East range. The south front is recessed from the West range
by about 3 ft and is of lower height. 2-storeyed pilastered rubble with
cellars and a stone slate roof in which 3 Cl7 gabled attic dormers, the two
on the East being larger than that on the West; the East one has moulded
barge-boards and in the West is a 3-light casement window in a modern stone
frame. In the ground floor are 2 original 2-light stone caveto-moulded mullioned
windows with square heads, and 1 small window in a moulded stone frame.
At the west end in the 1st floor, which was inserted probably about 1600,
is a 3-light stone mullioned window in a moulded frame. The West range
is of 2 storeys with cellars and 4 gables in which are attics. The front
was restored in 1885 by sir T G Jackson and is now cement-faced with imitation
masonry joints. There is a continuous moulded string over the ground and
1st floors and a moulded cornice below the gables. The ground floor has
2 3-light stone mullioned windows and 2 similar but larger windows with sashes,
all with square moulded labels. In the lst floor are 1 3-light and 2 2-light
stone mullioned windows with a projecting bay of 3 lights with sashes. The
4 windows in the 4 gables have 3-light casements. There is a moulded flat
wooden bracketed hood to the doorway. On the East is a stone-based stack
with a modern brick shaft and the roof is of modern tiles. Interior. RCHM
p 166 b. Includes in the East block the original roof timbers, and early
Cl7 staircase, a C17 fireplace and some C16-17 panelling. For drawing of
exterior by J C Buckler in 182l, see MS Bodl Don A 3 1 52. Major
alterations 1964.

Beam Hall and Nos 3, 4A and 5 from a group with New Block, Corpus Christ
College and Oriel College.

Listing NGR: SP5169806120

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.