This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8733 / 54°52'23"N
Longitude: -1.6956 / 1°41'44"W
OS Eastings: 419629
OS Northings: 553213
OS Grid: NZ196532
Mapcode National: GBR JDL2.PV
Mapcode Global: WHC42.XRQX
Plus Code: 9C6WV8F3+8P
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 1 June 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1323689
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469307
Location: Stanley, County Durham, DH9
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Stanley
Built-Up Area: Stanley
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Stanley and South Moor
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 15 SE STANLEY CHURCH BANK
1809/7/10004 CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
Church. 1876-7, tower added 1931. Designed by J G Holt of Manchester. Rock faced stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with ashlar coped gables. Original chancel, nave, north aisle and south porch with tower added over chancel with organ chamber and vestry added either side. Chamfered plinth and continuous sill band. West front has large 4-light pointed arch window to nave with lattice tracery and small roundel above. West end of north aisle has slightly set back narrower gable to left with between an octagonal bellcote which projects with open octagonal arcaded lantern topped with octagonal stone spire. Below slightly projecting doorway with pointed arched opening with deeply set narrow pointed doorway, and 2-light deeply set window with geometrical tracery .
N orth aisle has three 3-light pointed arch windows with geometric tracery , projecting later organ loft beyond has single 3-light window with perpendicular tracery .
South side has projecting gabled porch to west with diagonal buttresses and coped gable with kneelers and finial. T o right 2 pairs and a single 2-light pointed arch windows with reticulated tracery .Projecting vestry to east has similar 3-light window.
Massive square west tower with angle buttresses and octagonal stair turret attached to centre of south face. East face has large 5-1ight pointed arch window with reticulated tracery and above a tiny niche. Bell stage has 3 flat headed louvred openings and a clock to each face. Above stepped battlements with decorative arcading, topped with thin octagonal stone spire.
INTERIOR has 4 bay nave arcade to north with double chamfered arches and cluster columns with stiffleaf capitals, and single similar arch beyond to choir. Panelled wooden roof with curved arch trusses, chancel has flat wooden roof. Original wooden pews, octagonal stone font with wooden cover, ornate octagonal wooden pulpit on stone base. Fine wooden choir screen with broad central arch and 3 narrower flanking arches. Wooden choir stalls, altar rail and reredos. East bell tower has steel bell frame with brass bells and reinforced concrete spire.
Listing NGR: NZ1962953213
Other nearby listed buildings