This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8731 / 54°52'23"N
Longitude: -1.6959 / 1°41'45"W
OS Eastings: 419612
OS Northings: 553195
OS Grid: NZ196531
Mapcode National: GBR JDL2.MX
Mapcode Global: WHC42.XSL1
Entry Name: Stanley War Memorial
Listing Date: 7 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1440528
Location: Stanley, County Durham, DH9
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Stanley
Built-Up Area: Stanley
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Stanley and South Moor
Church of England Diocese: Durham
First World War memorial, unveiled 1923.
The memorial stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Andrew (Grade II). The granite monument, c5m tall, takes the form of a Celtic cross that rises from a plinth, square on plan. The plinth stands on a four-stepped base. The front face of the cross head is ornamented with interlace patterns carved in relief.
The principal dedicatory inscription incised into the front face of the plinth reads IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ ALL THE MEN BELONGING TO THIS PARISH,/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR, 1914-1918./ THEIR NAMES ARE RECORDED IN THE BOOK/ OF REMEMBRANCE KEPT WITHIN THIS CHURCH./ “THE PEACE OF GOD WHICH PASSETH/ UNDERSTANDING KEEP THEM FOR EVERMORE.”
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 22 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Stanley as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was unveiled on 22 December 1923 by Lord Joicey and dedicated by the Vicar of Christ Church, Gateshead, Reverend FB Philips. It was designed and made by Robert Beall of Newcastle and cost c£250. Beall was responsible for many war memorials in the region, a number of which are listed. The names of the commemorated servicemen are recorded on a Roll of Honour kept in the adjacent Church of St Andrew (Grade II).
Stanley War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of St Andrew’s Church, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the First World War;
* Architectural interest: an elegant memorial cross ornamented with carved interlace, in the Celtic style;
* Group value: with the Church of St Andrew (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings